SUPER RAM for iMac??!!

Reaction score
Ok here's my situation... I just upgraded my new intel iMac (2.5ghz, 20 inch) from 2 gigs to 4 gigs and it almost seems like it slowed down a little, what the crap??? Then I heard about 1600mhz ram and thought, wow! 1 gig of that is waaay better than 4 gigs of my 667mhz ram... right??
Anyone know where I can grab some of this ram? Any advice on the matter?
Im doing 3D art and compositing so I need powerful ram... Thanks guys!
Lex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
no matter how fast of ram you put in the system, it can only go as fast as your computer can go... so buying that ram would be worthless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Lex,

Make sure that RAM will work in your computer. The CPU and motherboard have to be capable to handle that speed. Sounds pretty fast for a Mac to me... I might go to 800, but 1600?

Call Apple tech support and check it out with them. Buying could be wasted money.

Noel

OP
L
Reaction score
Right on, thanks for that info...
Is it something people typically have trouble with going from 2 gigs to 4 gigs?
would leopard handle the situation better than tiger?
Thanks again
L

Reaction score
Can you quantify how much slower? If you still have your old RAM, I'd try running benchmarks with both configurations to get a measurement.

The others are correct about the RAM. If your iMac only runs DDR2 memory at 667Mhz, getting 800Mhz (I'm kind of assuming this "1600mhz" memory is 800 at DDR2 rate) memory won't make use of the extra speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Lex,

Normally shouldn't be any problem going from 2GB to 4GB... If the 2GB is 2x1GB (2 1GB sticks, the normal situation), you would have to remove those sticks and replace them with 2x2GB (2 2GB sticks). If there should happen to be only a single 2 GB stick in the computer (unusual set-up), you would add a second 2GB stick, but they should both be the same specs (speed). If the speeds are different, the RAM will default to the slower speed.

I don't think Tiger would handle it any different from Leopard, that's normally a motherboard/CPU call, not the OS's...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.