iDVD and third party burner?

Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question. I have the 12" PowerBook with combo drive because the superdrive is a rip off. I'm going to get a USB 2.0 or Firewire external dvd burner. Just curious though when I run idvd now it says I don't have a superdrive so I can't burn. Will it keep saying this and not burn even with a 3rd party external? Just don't want to buy an external one and find it doesn't work on the mac with idvd and such, I'll just get a cheapy internal one for my pc instead. Thanks!

S

sivp

I dont have the mac laptops, but, from windows based laptops, it's plug and play. You may have to install some drivers whatever, but it should work fine ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the only third party external dvd burners idvd or itunes will recognize are lacie, I think, Im like 95% sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wrong, iDVD won't burn to any external drives normally. Only internal ones.

There is a workaround though:

You need to download 2 files and place them in your Home folder (files called hurz, pfurz - google for them)

Then you ctrl-click the burn button and can select an external drive, or save the dvd as a disk image and burn on another comp or using toast.

So the answer is: no, not officially but yes, with a workaround.

Hope this helps!

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi that helps thanks. Just because for like $60cad at tiger direct I can get a dvd burner for my Dell, or its like $160 for the cheapest external firewire or usb 2.0 one for the mac. I really like idvd even though I don't have a digital video camera, but thought I'd rather get the burner for my powerbook. I just didn't want to buy it and then have none of the programs work and have the mac keep saying I don't have a dvd burner even though I do. With a program like roxio toast or whatever external would work fine though would it not? Thanks.

S

sivp

Aptmunich said:
Wrong, iDVD won't burn to any external drives normally. Only internal ones.

There is a workaround though:

You need to download 2 files and place them in your Home folder (files called hurz, pfurz - google for them)

Then you ctrl-click the burn button and can select an external drive, or save the dvd as a disk image and burn on another comp or using toast.

So the answer is: no, not officially but yes, with a workaround.

Hope this helps!

Never knew that, thanks for the tips and for the future.. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes, toast works fine with external burners.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.