Problems burning DVDs on 17' iMac...

S

SuperNova

Hi there,
I am the proud owner of a brand spankin' new 17' iMac G5 (3 days old). Over all, I am very happy with it. However, seeing as my older blue-and-white G3 is buggy, I transferred all my files to the iMac to back them up using the SuperDrive.

The problem is, I seem to be wasting more DVDs than successful burns. I tried using Toast, but whenever I check the disc info, another Untitled DVD appears on my desktop!! When I try to burn, it stops because of an error (obviously it doesn’t like having more than one DVD appearing at a time…).

I also tried using DragonBurn, which seemed to work, but the computer hangs up whenever I put the burned DVD in the drive, and the DVD is unreadable (???).

In a last effort attempt, I tried using the Finder to burn, but it takes 20 minutes to copy all the files to the DVD, 20 more minutes to burn, and it has quit on me once.

I am getting desperate. Please help me save DVDs!
Thanks very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hi there! May i ask what brand of DVD's your using? As some brands have been known to be incompatible with PowerBooks for some reason. I would stick to something well known such as TDK, Apple's own brand are a bit over priced in my opinion.

As for software, I'd stick to Toast if i were you.. it's the most reliable software out there! Make sure your running the latest version, version 6.0.7 though, as earlier version don't support multi speed.

If your using all of the about and it still fails, then I'm afraid that you might have a faulty SuperDrive. Does it play any movies or access other data DVD's from other backups? How about try burning a normal CD-R, if that fails then I'd call Apple.

Good luck.

OP
S

SuperNova

Hi,
Um... I am using no name white DVDs (My boyfriend works at a computer parts store so he gets them cheap *L*). That might be the cause of the problem. I am using Toast 6.0.3, that might be it also... I haven't really had time to watch a movie on it yet, but i tested one out and it seemed to work fine.
I'll try another brand of DVD and update Toast.
Thanks for your advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Apple uses Verbatim for everything, including testing. so Id go with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
@SuperNova : What are you actually burning to DVD?? I ask this because in your initial post you talked about moving things from one Mac to another Mac which I took as being a DataCD/DVD. But it appears you are actually copying then burning DVD movies??

If so, then I would highly suggest you find the tutorial topic here at Mac-Forums, I believe it is even a sticky in one of the forums. It's by far, the easiest method I have found for copying/backing up DVD's on your Mac.

As far as what brand of media to get, hmm not sure, I use some generic DVD-R's that I picked up at Fry's Electronics for like $10 for 120 DVD's and they work great.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
S

SuperNova

Hi rberry,
I am just doing backups of my massive MP3 collection onto a data DVD. Ok, so I guess the brand of the DVD doesn't matter then. I'm updating to Toast 6.0.7 and I'll try again, I had copied Toast from my other unstable Mac so maybe it is buggy also.
Will try to burn again and will give you guys feedback.
Thanks, SuperNova

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Content should matter... when you backup, those files should still appear on the DVD Data disk. Just make sure you choose DATA from the your tabs, other wise Toast might screw things up and try to encode them as a DVD movie or Audio.

attachment.php

toast.jpg

OP
S

SuperNova

Hi again,
Ok, so I've managed to burn 3 DVDs since upgrading to the latest version of Toast with no problems. I used (and have always used) the Data tab for burning these MP3 backups. Then, out of the blue, I get a series of errors:

Toast-error1.gif

Which is OK, it's the Finder, I tell myself, and not Toast, so my burn should continue... but then I get this:

Toast-error2.gif

and this!

Toast-error3.gif

Obviously, my burn was scrapped. 4 out of 9 DVDs don't work so far. What gives??

:mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you tried just burning them as mp3 cds under the audio tab? then they play, and theyre still files when you insert and open the dvd, and it doesnt take more room to do this.:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
You didnt mention if you were using a new brand of disk...I reccommend Verbatim.

OP
S

SuperNova

Apple's to blame

Hey everyone,
I called Apple to finally ***** about my DVD burning problems and they are certain my drive is to blame, that it's probably defective and I should bring it in to a licenced retailer to get it fixed. Gee, thanks Apple, however: 1) I am a multimedia student in over my head in projects and they expect it will take a couple of days to order the new drive and repair (or replace) it, SO, I can only go in after Christmas, while I desperately run out of room on my crammed hard-drive. Joy! 2) I really appreciate the fact that my burner was a dud as soon as I received my G5. It's called quality testing, people... Why didn't they make sure it worked before I got it?
Whew, i feel better now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.