Diablo 2 and Expansion with 10.5.3

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just bought Diablo 2 and the expansion for my Macbook Pro. The guys at Blizzard said that bugs had been reported to Apple because of a certain error that doesn't allow for Diablo to start under 10.5.3, which was supposed to fix this problem. Does anyone know if Apple is working to fix this and when they might release the solution?

thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
I don't know if Apple is trying to fix this. The issue is that 10.5.3 removed the 256 palette on Nvidia cards. Diablo 2 and Starcraft both run in 256, so they now can't run. If we're lucky, we'll see a solution in 10.5.4 on July 11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
I can still run Starcraft under 10.5.3, I was just running it an hour ago...

but Diablo may be and probably is different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Go to Post #68 in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=490676&page=3

I have successfully used the method described there to get Diablo II running on my 2008 revision MacBook Pro. Granted, I was using 10.5.2 and thus didn't have to use Pacifist to install the drivers. But it should work for you as well (it seems the 2008 revision MacBook Pros have been using the 10.5.3 video drivers from the start as part of some modified 10.5.2, and that's why those notebooks have always seemingly been unable to play Diablo II at all). Just remember to delete the drivers that need replacing before installing them through Pacifist and the Leopard Graphics Update.

And kmkl, it's not that the Diablo problem is different, but rather that this is an NVIDIA driver issue, and if I'm not mistaken, your computer has an ATI video card, not an NVIDIA video card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.