Dust in the case

S

sivp

You know, I and many others love the new powerpc case, but what about dust. I mean theres hundreds of holes just saying "come right in dust".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Well, the fans don't spin at full speed most of the time, which helps a little.

Other than that, the following high-tech peripherals have been developed to alleviate the problem. This for the office around the machine, and this for internal use. :)

I don't know any other way to cool a system like that.

OP
S

sivp

I wish thay had some kind of filter in the front. It wouldn't slow down airflow and stop dust, especially when a customized Apple computer costs like 7 k+. i.e. mine... I just want to protect it.

I used to make my own filters out of Swifer dust gloves, but then you can see the white colour through the hole and it looks like crap :radioacti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I've seen filters for other models, but not the recent ones. And they all ruined the look of the machine (They were basically just what you're doing...filter material taped over/under the openings.)

If you do use a filter of some kind, though be very careful: If the filter gets clogged with dust, the airflow will be restricted and the machine will overheat.This would be far worse than a little dust in the case. (In fact, I'd be a little worried about restricted airflow with something as thick as a Swiffer cloth. If I were you, I'd monitor the internal temperature carefully for a while to make sure it's not too high.)

OP
S

sivp

Thanks for the tips, although i'm not planning on filtering my mac, it's to pretty :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.