Desktop G4 - Sleep Problems

Reaction score
I recently bought some new RAM for my 4 year old G4 that was running very slow. I found that the sleep function didn't work properly after it was fitted and when woken up, the fan spins but the screen remained blank and stubbornly refuses to do anything - I have to force a shut down and restart. There were other issues too like the CD-ROM drive door refused to open. I cleaned everything up using OnyX and this has resolved everything but the Sleep function - Any bright ideas...? BillM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day Bill and welcome to the Forums.

You do not advise what OS you are running, so assuming it is Tiger or Leopard go to System Preferences>Energy Saver and check the settings there. It is known that PCI cards suck as USB2 will prevent sleep - anything like that fitted?

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi, thanks Harry, its OS 10.4.11 - The only change I've made is adding 2 Kingstion RAM sticks - I took back the first one thinking it was a bad stick but the new ones give the same problem - take them out it works just fine - put them in and the thing won't wake up... I know its the sticks causing it but is there a way around...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry never used Kingston memory so can't help. Always use OWC own brand. You have solved the problem however. Any mac owner near you that would loan you RAM to experiment with?

OP
B
Reaction score
I think Kingston are a pretty reputable brand - got them from the best apple store in Western Canada!!! I don't know anyone with an Apple though, so can't experiment - but that has to be it. I just wondered if they caused a software glitch that was easily solvable - but I guess not...!
Thanks anyway...Billm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.