Buying used mac pro quad

Reaction score
My windows if finally dying out and isn't able to handle the programs I'm using on it (after effects /dreamweaver /flash). So I've been looking at the refurbished section on the apple site for mac pros and was probably going to get one off there. Upon looking into craigslist for a mac pro I've found one for a substantial amount less. Is it worth the risk you'd think? What could really be wrong with a used computer if it turns on and I mess around with it for a few minutes? Does anyone have any horror stories or better yet any positive stories with buying used machines? And even if something is wrong with it couldn't I still bring it in into the apple store and have them check it out.

I'm definitely going to wait till the third to see what apple's promo will be this year but was just wanting suggestions or stories.

any help is greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Do not have any worries about the refurb section on the Aple site

You are getting a mac that is cheaper, been through quality control twise and comes with the same warranty as a "new" mac

Everyone on here who has had a refurb swears by them, again - don't worry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
How does the price compare for a similarly equipped current Mac Pro, the lowest spec'd 4 core, 2.8 GHz? The new Mac Pros feature tons of improvements in areas like memory speed, memory bandwidth, etc. The new 2.8 GHz Mac Pro is substantially faster than the older 2.66 quad, and just about the same speed as the older 3.0 quad. It might be worth considering if there isn't a huge pricing differential.

OP
H
Reaction score
thanks for the responses, I think I'll be buying a used mac for sure now

I was thinking on going with this model http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA356LL/A

will it have these newer improvements that mac57 is talking about?

like I said before, the apps I'll be using on it will be after effects, flash, dreamweaver, photoshop, all cs3. Will the 2.66ghz model be able to adequately handle these or should I really go with the 3.0 model? ( http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FB052LL/A )
of course bigger is better but would it be an unnecessary overkill? 400 bucks isn't terrible but I would just like to hear some thoughts on this.

I'll also be throwing in 4 gigs of extra ram into it ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820349002 ) and will probably get more when I can.

Also can anyone tell me if the brands of ram really do matter? I can understand quality and customer service, but is the performance noticeably different? And what other brands would be recommended for ram upgrades?

thank you so much and I really appreciate you guys helping out such a new member

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I can confirm after looking at the URL that this is the first generation Mac Pro, so it will not have the improvements I wrote about. That doesn't make it a bad machine - it just doesn't have the technology improvements that were incorporated into the current Mac Pro.

I can't say for sure if there is a big difference in which brand of RAM you chose, but I had Crucial recommended to me at the local Apple store by one of the sales associates, so I went with Crucial when I upgraded the RAM in my Mac Pro. I have been very happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would stay away from Craigslist if you're spending more than $50. It could work today but it might not work tomorrow. Plus, the warranty might be expired.
I'd save a headache and go refurbished. They look and feel brand new. I've always been 110% satisfied with my refurb purchases. Sometimes there can be little bonuses like extra RAM or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Yea refurbished macs are great. I never saw the purpose in getting a brand new mac when I could get a refurb.
All macs are new at one time. that doesn't guarantee that it wont break or have a malfunction just because its new.
Thats my aspect on refurbs, you have the same chances of having something go wrong with a refurbished as a brand new one

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.