A few hardware / technical questions about the imac g5 / osx

V

vineswingman

Does the osx version of itunes support non-ipod mp3 players? (namely the creative nomad jukebox zen xtra) I had an ipod (3rd gen) but was unsatisfied with the sound quality. The nomad zen blows it away, and is a much better value. Or is there a program that can transfer mp3s that I rip in itunes to an mp3 player in OSX?

Is the 20" screen the same exact one used on the 20" apple pro displays? Is the 17" the same one used on the 17" powerbooks? I hear that the 20" screen is a much higher *quality* screen than the 17" one, and that the 17" imac g5 has problems at viewing at extreme angles (like a laptop screen would.)

Is the apple care worth it (it's only $119)? I see quite a few possible hardware problems with the g5 imacs on these forums.. So I'm leaning towards getting it.

What's a good 2+ button mouse to get with it that *matches* the system, and are the wireless mouse/keyboard as buggy as I hear? I dont know if I want to pay the upgrade to the bluetooth + wireless keyboard & mouse if I'm just gonna toss the mouse and get a (possibly wired) 2 button one. Are there any bluetooth 2 button mice out there?

I think that's it for now... thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The only question I can answer is the mouse question.
MacMice has a mouse that looks very similar to the ApplePro Mouse, but it has a scroll wheel and 3 buttons (one by pressing the wheel). They have it as cord mouse and Bluetooth mouse.
I can't tell you though if Bluetooth mouse and keyboard are buggy or not, as i simply use those with cabels... :cool:

OP
V

vineswingman

hmm.. it seems like some people are experiencing a lot of problems with "the mouse BT." say it's "jumpy," and "cheap feeling." Others say they have no problems with it..... Hmm.. I'm also looking at the mx1000, however, it doesn't match the imac at *all*. and then i'd have to have the docking station, which means more cords.

Reaction score
I can safely say, after having had my iMac for over a week now that I am satisfied in everyway with it, but to try and help you out I can also tell you that I have not identified one single problem with the bluetooth keyboard or mouse. They feel incredibly solid, not what you would call heavy, but not a cheap lightweight kind of feeling either, right in the middle. They are responsive and work from up to thirty feet away, I tried it! Not having the wires there is so nice and when my arm gets tired of being in the same position for hours, I simply move the mouse to another area of my desk. Sometimes I use it directly in front of me, others it's completely off to my right. What I am getting at is if you still have time go with the wireless. Hope this helps.

OP
F

flonejek

If its just a hardrive type player, then yes, iTunes will support, and I have uploaded loads of my music (make sure their mp3's) to a friends creative flash player, so it should work, just check whether the nomad has its own music database, or is just a directory based player... Are you sure you're lacking in quality with the iPod?, I've also got a 3g, and it sounds a tad better than my friends nomad, I think you should try getting some better quality headphones or play both through a quality hifi (thats what we did to compare) ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.