External HD with drives that come out to replace/add

Reaction score
I saw on here at one point someone recommending a company that build's storage devices that fit hard drives. Its meant for safety as if one drive fails you simply pop it out and replace it. Can anyone recommend somethin like this and know where I can find it?

Also do you think its worth the extra couple hundred bucks to go this route? I'm afraid of getting 1TB and having it fail 5 years from now losing everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think you are talking about RAID, on that kind of drive you will have 2 Terabytes of storage across, say 4-8 drives. You will only be able to use 1 Terabyte because all your data is being duplicated across the drives.

You can buy a raid system, or spend the money on 2 1 terabyte drives and set up a RAID system of 1 T using apples disk utility.

That way - if one drive fails, you have a complete back-up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
here are some options

d-link

here is list of 2 bay nas systems

some of the western digital hard drives (like this one) have two drives and i believe can be set up in a raid format

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.