new iMac mouse scrolling and Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
++24" imac 3ghz / may-08+ ibook G3-500mhz-10g-384m-12", nov-07 +G4 quicksilver 867 mhz/512MB july/08
HI

Just got a new imac,

24 inch 3 ghz

the mouse (wired, not wireless) will scroll down BUT WILL NOT scroll up

it is the mouse with the very tiny ball at the front......it doesnt seem like there is a way to take it apart and clean it......help?

sometimes when using firefox, the system will not accesss the internet

a nd sometimes when using firefox, the system will not display pictures, but will display the rest of the webpage I am surfing

any ideas?

thanks!

Reaction score
Put a blank piece of paper on your desk, hold your mouse upside down and rub against the paper vigourously for a minute or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac / 3gb ram
Mine stopped scrolling properly 2 days after I bought my iMac. It's now 3 weeks old. I've tried everything suggested short of taking it apart. I will be returning it for a replacement.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
++24" imac 3ghz / may-08+ ibook G3-500mhz-10g-384m-12", nov-07 +G4 quicksilver 867 mhz/512MB july/08
paper rub upside down worked!

thanks

big al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
Happens all the time to mine. I just press down at just the right pressure, and it starts working again ( I will try the paper trick next time). My first Mighty Mouse did this, and frustrated me to no end. One of the downsides to a wireless mouse is that there is no tether to stop it if you throw it at a wall. I am being more patient with my second Mighty Mouse. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
LOL thanks for that paper trick. Much quicker than cotton buds and alcohol.

Reaction score
Mouse scrolling

Have recently bought the same Imac, and have had a similar problem with my mighty mouse, except that my mouse would scroll up but not down!

I fixed it by closing the little sliding flap under mouse over optical reader and opening it again. Yes, I know, it was highly untechnical and probably chance, but it worked !!

I guess it was the equivalent of the Help Desk panacea for all computer ills - turn the machine off and on again !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15' Intel i7-2.7GHz, 16Gb, NVIDIA GeForceGT
You posted to a thread that is 14 years old. It may have been better to create a new thread.

That said, the Mac and Mouse use BT to connect. Typically, problems are caused by other BT devices nearby, or devices using the same 2.4Ghz frequencies. So, what did you add/move to your area around the computer in Oct/Nov 2021? New wireless home phone? New Printer? New BT device? New TV? New speakers?
Thank you MacinWin, I've gotten lucky I think because the paper trick seems to have worked for the first day. This would indicate it's not a BT trans/receiver problem but a mouse problem of some sorts. I won't spend any time trying to understand the technology behind the paper trick since it's working today, 2 days in a row. For the last 2 months I've had to unload and reload every day to get the scroll to work again. Thank you for your reply.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do not post into old threads, create a new thread and if you wish to reference something from an older thread, you can link to it.

Your posts have been moved to a new thread: Mouse scrolling

Continue your discussion there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.