Best way to correct/complete MP3 & AAC tags??

Reaction score
I wanted to find out how some of you guys go about correcting and/or completing (i.e. filling in missing tags) for some of you music files in iTunes?

I have experimented with iEatBrainz and also took a quick peek at MPFreaker (both available via versiontracker.com)...iEatBrainz seems to be a nice utility for filling in missing tag data by comparing any existing (though incomplete) tags found in your audio files with anything it finds a match for on their online audio file tag database...I did however find that this program does incorrectly match tracks quite often, and its pretty tedious to have to manually scroll through your list of potential corrections to verify each one...

MPFreaker seems more geared toward allowing you to add missing artwork to your audio files...

I wanted to find out how some of you guys go about dealing with this issue, and to find out if anyone had any alternate options they've used which they might be willing to suggest?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I sometimes use the gracenote site if I know what the album is (only works on complete albums)

download the CDDB track info script

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=cddbsafarikit

Put the script in Users/YourFolder/Library/iTunes/Scripts
If the Scripts folder is not there - make one

Restart iTunes. Put your album in its own playlist. Find the track listing on the gracenote site www.gracenote.com

Select the tracks in the playlist and under the script menu in Safari, select CDDB Tracks to iTunes via Safari - that should work,

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip...Do you need to know what the album is specifically for this script to work? If you do know the name of the album, will the script then automatically fill in all of the other missing tag fields for the particular track? Does this script have to be used one song at a time?

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
no, it works on a whole album, you find the track listing on gracenote, then the script looks at that album and if the tracks match, then all the tags are downloaded

give it a try

OP
M
Reaction score
What other methods of "filling-in-the-blanks" do some of the rest of you use?

Are there any better alternatives to iEatBrainz?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
MediaRage.

It's manual, but once you learn how to use it it can make the process quite painless. I use MPFreaker for Artwork only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.