iPod in Car

J

jasihn

I have an older CD player in my car without inputs. Do I have any options, besides a new system and an FM Transmitter, to play the iPod in the car?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you could get a cassette adapter but the FM transmitters work great for me....i use the iTrip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
What kind of deck do you have? Is it stock? How old. You might be able to get a CD changer adapter that will allow you to add AUX inputs to your deck.

OP
J

jasihn

Hi Emrys! The brand name has slipped my mind but it is not stock. It is a low end deck that I bought at Best Buy for less than $200. Can you explain more about the adding AUX inputs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Sure...

I have a '02 Jimmy. My stock deck is a Delco. The deck was designed to be able to control a CD changer. But I don't have a CD changer. So what I did, was buy a cable that "emulates" the CD changer interface, but actually has 2 RCA jacks at the other end, so you can hook up basically anything in the world that has RCA outputs. Does that make sense?

Check out this site : Car Installer Parts Install it Yourself - Car Stereo Wires, Tools, Harnesses, Dash Kits, Car Play

They have tons of adapters. But being as your deck is aftermarket, you probably won't see anything there.

What is the make/model of your deck? Try calling a local car stereo place and see if they know what they are talking about. If so, ask them to look for one for you.

The price might be a little steep for you. Seeing as you already spent $200 on an aftermarket deck, you might not want to spend another $80 on an adapter. Maybe buy a new deck? For me, it was worth it, because I converted my stock CD deck that works great otherwise. I haven't looked at any decks lately, but you cold probably get a brand new deck for little more than $80 that will have an AUX input, probably in the front of it for easy accessibility. I had to extract my deck, run wires through the dash, and I have 2 RCA jacks hanging out the bottom of my dash. I will try to take a picture and get it up here to show you.

Hope that helps a little....

OP
R

retep

i used to use a tape deck adapter, but my new car doesn't have a tape player. help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.