• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

transferring from iMac to Powerbook

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old iMac that I'm finally retiring!
It's one of the bohndi (?) blue ones, running OS 9.
Under "about this computer" it also says "MAC OS ROM 3.1.1"

I've been using QuickBooks for Mac, Version 4.0, Release M11-PPC on this iMac.

I currently have a Powerbook G4 (running OS 10.4.11) that I will also be upgrading next month to a MacBook Pro.

I already have QuickBooks 5.0 installed on my Powerbook. Quickbooks will not upgrade from 4.0 M11, only from 4.0 M12a.

I'd really love to have my 10 years of financial data come with me to my new computer.

So.

I downloaded a patch from a link someone on the QuickBooks Community Forum page. I put it on a thumb drive, and brought it over to my iMac (no internet on that machine). When I transfered the "QB M12A Update Installer-2" to the iMac, it says it's a PC file and won't do it's thing.

So.

Then I thought I'd take my QB 4.0 application, put that on my Powerbook, open it in Classic and go from there. I've encountered a few more problems:
1) the installer doesn't seem to see any QB files to update.
2) The QB files I transfered from the iMac to the Powerbook have become .exe files, that I cannot open.

(BTW, quite a few files that I put on the thumb drive from the iMac become .exe files on the Powerbook -- what's up with that?)

Any one have any ideas on how to help? Many thanks,

Amy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.