[Memory] question for upgrading

Reaction score
hey guys, my first post here..

im going to get a macbook pro but wanted to ask somthing before here:

does the mbp have one 2gb ram stick or two 1gb ram sticks?
im aksing because i want to buy 2gb more so i will have 4gb, question is if i can buy one 2gb stick and put it in or will i have to pay for two new 2gb sticks?? thannks lol, i dont want to waste money
it would be alot cheaper to just buy a 2gb stick and add to the 2gb thats already inside..

Reaction score
It comes 2x1GB so you'll need to get a 2x2GB kit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac BookPro 2.5Ghz, 17"HD, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm
SchneiderStudio,

I just ordered a new MBP myself. They come with 2x1GB. I am having mine upgraded to 2x2GB prior to shipping. It is supposed to be here next week!!!

Reaction score
SchneiderStudio,

I just ordered a new MBP myself. They come with 2x1GB. I am having mine upgraded to 2x2GB prior to shipping. It is supposed to be here next week!!!

Don't tell anyone else that you paid Apple to upgrade the RAM for you. You could have saved nearly $300 ordering the RAM from a 3rd party and doing the install yourself.

OP
S
Reaction score
Don't tell anyone else that you paid Apple to upgrade the RAM for you. You could have saved nearly $300 ordering the RAM from a 3rd party and doing the install yourself.

lol thats true, they want $400 for just 2gb more! anyways thanks for your replies! i dont get why would they not put only one 2gb ramn stick..
do you think that apple will have 3gb standred with the mbp next month>? then it will be awesome! thanks again guys!
p.s i have a new nikon d40 too and i love it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
lol thats true, they want $400 for just 2gb more! anyways thanks for your replies! i dont get why would they not put only one 2gb ramn stick..
do you think that apple will have 3gb standred with the mbp next month>? then it will be awesome! thanks again guys!
p.s i have a new nikon d40 too and i love it :)

Dual channel memory.

Basically it is quicker using two channels rather than one with this particular chipset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac BookPro 2.5Ghz, 17"HD, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm
True, more expensive to have Apple do it. My IS guys are still Mac phobic and insisted that Apple do it. I've seen 4GB pairs for as cheap as $120. Having built numerous PC's if you have even a little sense, you can definitely do it yourself!

Reaction score
True, more expensive to have Apple do it. My IS guys are still Mac phobic and insisted that Apple do it. I've seen 4GB pairs for as cheap as $120. Having built numerous PC's if you have even a little sense, you can definitely do it yourself!

Yea,
You can get 4GB of Mushkin from Newegg right now for about $70 after rebate. RAM is dirt cheap now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
the swap, literally, takes about 30 seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
SchneiderStudio,

Here's one of the more reasonable offerings from Newegg. I bought the same memory for my Macbook a couple of months ago with a rebate, so you may just want to order with the 2GB and keep looking in on these kinds of deals on the internet. You may find it cheaper next week (beginning of the month).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146701

BTW, this Newegg sale has a Mac deal available with it, but I don't know if that's good or bad...

As Dysfunction said, putting the new memory in is a pretty fast swap and really helps speed things up.

Good luck, Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.