G4, 125 mhz needs upgrading

Reaction score
Just got hold of an older G4, that is a 125mhz. 1 gig ram, horrible old dvd and cd and the video card is probably original. I want to upgrade so obviously I will up the ram and at least the dvd to begin with, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations on a better video card that has option for Svideo to tv? the one cautionary thing I must say is I am not rich - in fact I'm more on the poor side (on SSD, disability) so I'm looking for the most bang for the buck so to speak - I've been looking at different sites but find my eyes begin to cross after a while <g> So decided to come to the experts and see what will work and that you'd recommend? Thanks!

Reaction score
Just got hold of an older G4, that is a 125mhz. 1 gig ram, horrible old dvd and cd and the video card is probably original. I want to upgrade so obviously I will up the ram and at least the dvd to begin with, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations on a better video card that has option for Svideo to tv? the one cautionary thing I must say is I am not rich - in fact I'm more on the poor side (on SSD, disability) so I'm looking for the most bang for the buck so to speak - I've been looking at different sites but find my eyes begin to cross after a while <g> So decided to come to the experts and see what will work and that you'd recommend? Thanks!

Um.......I dont really know how you got that 125GHz... since the first of its kind is 350ghz....unless you bought it secondhand... errm.. what type is it? you just mentioned Power Mac G4, and since there are many of those.. i can't really help you, since there all different.

so just let me know when you find out what type it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm going to take a wild punt and guess that 125Mhz is supposed to be 1.25Ghz.

I'm not sure what video card you could get, but I'm sure someone will know...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

That is also my guess.

To the OP, can you tell us a bit more about your G4 Power Mac? Even maybe a Pic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is a 1.25DP Morror Disk Door (MDD for short) suggest you look for an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card, preferably with 128MB VRAM. This model does not require a fan and there are lots of reports on 9800 fans failing in MDD. For RAM go to OWC at www.macsales.com and check the model out. See their price and then shop around.

If it is indeed a MDD, first thing to do is turn it upside down, clean out bottom air inlet near the front leg, clean dust out from inside and clean the CPU fins with a small clean paintbrush.

Get back for more on CHUD quietening fans, Temperature Monitor software etc.

OP
L
Reaction score
Well duh - forgot the period LOL It's a 1.25Gz

Sorry about the lost period in the 1.25 - didn't even notice it - and yes, it is a MDD. Feel like an idiot for goofing that up <g> And I can send pictures but what do you want? Screen shots of what's inside or the outside?

As far as the video card what I have is this - ATY, Rage128Pro with 16MB VRAM. The 9600 sounds like a plan - looked up it's stuff and I might be able to swing it. Thanks - I do like the Radeon - it looks good.

Will check out the RAM too - always can use a good source. I intend to max it out - if my info is correct that should be only 2 gig ram? Is there a difference in what I can put in as far as the basic RAM? It's DDR SDRAM 184 pin and 333 I think - is there a difference in the RAM you buy? some are cheap and some are more expensive - usually expensive means more quality but can't figure out if they would work better or you're just paying for the name or what....

thanks for all that pointed out the booboo and the help on what I should look for - I certainly do appreciate it!

OP
L
Reaction score
Oh - forgot to mention that I did clean the computer up and out but didn't brush out the fans - will do that.

Now someone please explain what CHUD is? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
CHUD is a tool option which helps quieten the fan units if MDD if they are too loud. There are various versions depending on your operating system. On my FW800 1.25DP use CHUD 4.4.4 and it is as quiet as a mouse. Here is a link:-

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Developer-Tools/Apple-CHUD-Tools.shtml

For RAM go to OWC as suggested. Purchased 4 x 512MB OWC RAM for less than a hundred bucks. Here in Australia they are over that amount each.

Reaction score

haha true true.. it could be.... and i said GHZ??? ... wow im loosing my MIND here hehe :p. And im pretty sure it was 466MHZ .... or 366mhz something i just said there.... above..:p Ummmm Yeh but he might of had a really old version of it.... so yeh i dunno.........

Reaction score
If it is a 1.25DP Morror Disk Door (MDD for short) suggest you look for an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card, preferably with 128MB VRAM. This model does not require a fan and there are lots of reports on 9800 fans failing in MDD. For RAM go to OWC at www.macsales.com and check the model out. See their price and then shop around.

If it is indeed a MDD, first thing to do is turn it upside down, clean out bottom air inlet near the front leg, clean dust out from inside and clean the CPU fins with a small clean paintbrush.

Get back for more on CHUD quietening fans, Temperature Monitor software etc.

Graphics card is fine... i have that too. and it works everything smoooothly. Just UP the RAM.... and the speed of the computer abit before you actually start installing any software/games that you mentioned in the above.

OP
L
Reaction score
Okay - regarding the video card - I have trouble playing vids on it - I use VLC most of the time rather than Quicktime - but no matter what I use, the video drags and is out of sync with audio. I assumed that it would improve both with the ram but that a better/newer video card would be needed to play them properly.

Also question on the RAM - it says that it uses 184-pin PC2700 (333 MHz) DDR SDRAM. Can I use a faster speed than the 333 mhz? If so how fast will it support?

OP
L
Reaction score
CHUD is a tool option which helps quieten the fan units if MDD if they are too loud. There are various versions depending on your operating system. On my FW800 1.25DP use CHUD 4.4.4 and it is as quiet as a mouse. Here is a link:-

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Developer-Tools/Apple-CHUD-Tools.shtml

For RAM go to OWC as suggested. Purchased 4 x 512MB OWC RAM for less than a hundred bucks. Here in Australia they are over that amount each.

First off - may I say WOW that the ram is more expensive in Australia - that is tough!! I have gone to websites in Australia for pet meds because they are cheaper and more choices there but too bad about the RAM.

I've downloaded CHUD and will use it - thanks for the tip. Working on getting the bucks to get the ram - hope it will be soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.