Dropped iBook G4, display now replaces gray colors with teal

Reaction score
My G4 suffered a 4 foot drop with nothing but a vinyl case to protect it from a tile floor. The machine is running fine now but the display is acting a little funny, most noticeably, displaying a teal color in place of what should be gray. I have taken the machine apart before (hard drive) and would do so again if I though there was any chance this could be the result of a loose connection.

Any thoughts as to whether you think this could be a display only problem, a loose connection or a problem related to the logic board? (I am unable to test it with another monitor.)

Thanks in advance!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It very well could be the connector on the cable to the display is loose. Since you know how to take it apart, try and see if anything is loose. Can not hurt! If not then the display is probably damaged.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! Have you ever heard of a dislodged connector causing problems similar to this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, seen similar issues on PC Notebooks I have repaired. Seating the connector solved it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks a ton! I took off the polycarbonate shell and folded down the metal casing on the display to reveal the primary set of wires that runs up screen. I pushed this set of blue and orange wires firmly towards the circuitry at the top and thought I might have felt the slightest movement. I booted it back up and voila!
(P.S. It is primarily my wifes machine so I changed the apple color to pink while I had it open :)

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Congrats you got lucky. This happens all the time at work and we usually have to replace the whole display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.