Recording what my Mac plays

Reaction score
Hi,

I would really like an inline sound recorder (I'm not sure I mean 'inline') so I can record what comes out of my speakers and I hope you guys can help.

Basicly what I mean is, record with out using the mic or line out, like many sound recorders do. This came from having a few great tunes on youtube that I wanted to listen to on itunes - "no worries" though I, "I'll just find a sound recorder, play the vid and save the result as an mp3."

Well I can't find anything suitable - Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5 Dual 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM
Try Audio Hijack Pro. There is a shareware version on versiontracker. It's not free (hence shareware :), but you can give it a shot on the trial version. I think after a certain amount of minutes (10 I believe) recording, it creates static. Which then requires you to buy the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I would really like an inline sound recorder (I'm not sure I mean 'inline')

Internal? Audio Hijack does the job very well.

so I can record what comes out of my speakers

Taking what you say literally, don't do it that way, you'll get all sorts of interference and extraneous noise.

a few great tunes on youtube that I wanted to listen to on itunes

Audio Hijack will, as its name says, 'hijack' your browser, ie. it will tap into whatever you're recording or playing and grab the sound.

However, I record sound by recording from YouTube using Seatubes, saving the .flv file, opening it in Quicktime and then using Hijack to take the sound from that. Once you're registered Hijack, you can save sound files in a variety of sound formats.

Others can tell you of other sound grab applications, eg. Audacity. Try a Google search with 'Record Audio Mac'.

Reaction score
I started a thread on a VERY similar subject a while ago.
I'd dig it up for you, but i'm too lazy.
It was informative, but I didn't end up doing anything because my PowerMac G4 doesn't have a microphone port. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
audacity does whatever the PC plays. Doesnt work the same way in Mac? excuse me i am a recent switcher.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I just plug the line out into the line in and record away!

If you use GarageBand to do the recording you can plug in headphones to use as a monitor whilst recording.

I find this a neat way to take just the audio I want from DVDs.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I just plug the line out into the line in and record away!
If you use GarageBand to do the recording you can plug in headphones to use as a monitor whilst recording.

Very neat! But where on your Mac do you find the extra audio out for your headphones. A double adaptor? Or are you playing from and plugged into an external device with your headphones?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Very neat! But where on your Mac do you find the extra audio out for your headphones. A double adaptor? Or are you playing from and plugged into an external device with your headphones?

On my G5 PowerMac there are separate line-out and headphone sockets, some other Mac variants probably don't have this facility.

The spdif in/out can also be used but not all models have them so maybe a double adaptor would be required. (they are pretty cheap to buy and there should be enough power from the headphone socket to drive a pair of ipod style headphones and feed the line in at the same time, although I haven't actually tried it myself.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.