• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Most Beautiful Music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
This is in response to the 'Saddest Song' thread. Beauty has a wealth of definition, meaning different things to different people for different reasons, but perhaps you'd care to nominate the most beautiful song or piece of instrumental music you've ever heard. My first nominations (in Classical genre):
Le Cleu (The Bluebird - Villiers Stanford) sung by Swingle II
Ave Verum Corpus (Mozart) sung by Swingle Singers or K-C-Cambridge Choir
Miserere Mei, Deus (Allegri) sung by K-C-Cambridge Choir

Reaction score
Have you actually got a copy of Bluebird by Swingles, or do you knowwhwre I can get one, if so please please please let me know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
One of my all-time favorites is:

Boccherini La Musica Notturna Delle Strade Di Madrid No. 6, Op. 30

jah

Reaction score
i would not normally listen to this type of format but my thinking stuff done by Cloud Cult is fine enough to warrant a notice. i posted this below too.

specifically the album "Meaning of 8" the tunes:
"Purpose"
"Step Forward"
"2x2x2"
"Chain Reaction"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook 2GHz/iPod Classic Black 80GB/iPhone 4 32GB/iPad2 WiFi 16GB
Sigur Rós!

Anything by them :) I love them :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
Is this specific to Classical music?
If not - I'd like to mention 'A Day in the Life' by the Beatles. I love how the string sections builds and builds into a climax, and I love the lyrics to the song. My favourite part about the song is the fact that Lennon had a song that he hadn't finished, then Paul waltz's in with a little bit that he'd written to try and turn into summat - they combined the two to make one of the best songs ever! Gotta be up there with the best of em!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Classical Music, I'd have to say anything buy Debussy.

Other music, Black Bird by the Beatles. Also, Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Also, Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.
As much as Stairway to Heaven is a great song, it's not their best song.

I'm a fan of "A Song For Milly Michaelson" by Thrice. Listen to it here. It may sound sad but if you listen to lyrics, it's quite amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
Maybe a little less "beautiful" then some people think, but Tonight, Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins always gives me shivers.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ave Maria by Bach, super old school :p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Debussy is not classical music :( It's impressionism. But yea, far too much music to pick "the most beautiful." Lately I've been on a huge Blind Melon kick, except there's been a steady dose of ambient black metal in there too. I love some Enslaved.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
lots of good stuf fhere, have to agree with Calciumee on Sigur Ros, some truely stunning music there.

i do have a number of favorite instrumental pieces (shock) that i think are "beautiful".

Vivaldi's concerto in D for guitar (maybe one of my favorite pieces of music ever)
ave maria, by just about anyone
ivy and neet by this mortal coil
bach's air in D
much of soul whirling somewhere's music, especially the first album, and most specifically the first track one of these days some eyes will be opened
Yann Tierssen's music on the Amelie soundtrack
many of moby's quiet instrumental pieces are very nice too

and of course, not all of the songs i love that i consider "beautiful" would be instrumental only. a few of the ones with vocals:

morning has broken by cat stevens
iron and wine's cover of the postal service's such great heights
holland by sufjan stevens
day after day by badfinger
the piano version of hooverphonic's eden
aspenglow by john denver
atlanta by stone temple pilots
procol harum's whiter share of pale

could come up with a bunch more if i really dug through my collection or took some real time to think about it... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well I have a few I find beautiful for different reasons.

Oh Yeah - Taxiride
As Long As I Am - Paul Mac/Luke Steele
Una Notte E Forse Mai Piu - Eiffel 65
High - Lighthouse Family

And some instrumental pieces:

Postcards From Far Away - Coldplay
Rebel Heart - The Corrs
Nocturne - Billy Joel
Song For Guy - Elton John

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Maybe a little less "beautiful" then some people think, but Tonight, Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins always gives me shivers.
I'm with you on that one. Great song. I'm not sure if many would classify it as beautiful though (beauty is subjective though).

Reaction score
The 1987 movie 'Less Than Zero' contains the most beautiful instrumental
piece I've ever heard.

You can hear bits of it throughout the movie, but it plays for around one minute straight towards the end, when Andrew McCarthy & Jami Gertz discover that Robert Downey Jr. has died of a drug overdose.

I've been trying to find this music for years.

Also, if it was up to me, this film would be 'required' viewing for all 11th grade high school students.

It's a dark & dreary film that you want to turn off, but can't.

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook 2GHz/iPod Classic Black 80GB/iPhone 4 32GB/iPad2 WiFi 16GB
I love Sigur Rós, I then saw them play live last year in a small church, and they are even more beautiful. They had a string quartet and brass section :)

I then saw them another 2times on their UK tour late last year :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chopin - Raindrops Prelude Op 25 no 15

I won't lie, I heard it for the first time in a Halo commercial. You can view the commercial here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.