Communications port problem windows xp parallels

Reaction score
Please forgive my lack of Mac knowledge I am helping a friend and trying to troubleshoot, here is the info.

She has a Macbook pro and a biking program called polar pro trainer. I am trying to infared transfer information from her biking monitor to the biking program that only runs off of windows xp. we have an infared device that plugs into the usb port that recieves the singnal from the device. When I try to start the transfer it says "communication port couldn't be opened". How do I open this port, I was able to get it to work on my dell and I'm not familiar with the settings.

Thanks,
Tyler

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure the Parallels Guest Tools are installed and working properly. It may be that there is no driver installed for the IR device within the Parallels VM. I'm not even sure one is supplied. That's about the only thing I can think of which may be preventing the IR transfer.

Regards.

Reaction score
Polar Pro Trainer with Parallels on Mac

I used the following Adapter (http://www.buyextras.com/syusbirad.html) and allowed XP to install the driver, not from the CD. It worked well after this. This USB Device must be checked on Parallels tab above. IrDA was the selected port on the PPT software. Transfer was successful. Good Luck.

HG

Reaction score
Another com port question

First time posting, excuse me if it's not in the right place on this forum.
Just started in parallels with WinXP SP2. My device, an HP iPaq running a speech emulator called Chat PC silk can't find the com ports to sync to the device. USB connection is OK, as the XP sees the device, but ActiveSync does not see the device.

I don't have any com ports available, checked several times and places and that info is consistent. Do I need to install com ports from XP, or do the com ports exist on the iPaq?

Thanks for any replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.