memory question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, ipod nano, ipod video and a whole lotta love
I just put in a 256 memory chip for my ibook, how do I know that it works? It clicked in when I installed it, but when I got to "about this mac" under my apple icon, and then hit memory, it shows 2 different memory slots, one is the 256 that is built in, but the other shows empty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you go on about this mac, it should show the total memory in the first window that pops up.

Mine shows 768MB (256 + 512)

If it doesn't, you might have bought the wrong type of ram.

I'd return it if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If it is seated correctly and is the wrong ram (or bad ram), I'm surprised that it even booted. Try removing the ram and reseating it.

Where and what type of ram did you get? Which iBook do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
I bought ram last week for my ibook and tried to install it myself to no avail. It was supposed to be very easy but for some reason i had the same problem as you. The ram simply would not be identified. I tried to install it another 3 times but same problem. I felt i followed the instructions properly but guess was scared to force anything to prevent damaging the ibook as well as damaging the ram. I reluctantly went back to the store and had it installed "professionally" and everything is good now. I would recommend you take it to a computer shop and have them install it. Also remember to be careful that the ram did not or does not get fried b/c of static when it is being installed. Btw, make sure you got SODIMM pc2100 ram for notebooks.

Good luck and everything should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I'm not really sure what a pc shop can do differently than a normal user...

Just open up the 'book, insert ram at 30° angle (make sure the end with a kerb is at the bottom) and slowly press down.

Close ibook. boot.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, ipod nano, ipod video and a whole lotta love
I have a G4 12 inch, the version without the built in Airport. The RAM is a Samsung 256 DDR PC2700 CL2.5. Any Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The PC2700 is fine. I would just reseat it. The OS checks for bad ram at startup, so I doubt that it is bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.