Connecting my Mac to my decks

Reaction score
I'm wanting to connect my 2 turntables via my mixer to my mac so i can share the speakers.
I also want to use my itunes as a channel on my mixer, I'm guessing this is possible?

Can somebody explain the easiest way to do this, in easy terms (I'm not terribly technical)

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm wanting to connect my 2 turntables via my mixer to my mac so i can share the speakers.

What model of Mac, and what speakers? What about an external amplifier, because your Mac won't have a very high output. Turntables are pre-amp, but your Mac can act as an amplifier.

You'll probably have a 3.5 mm audio-in port on your Mac. From your mixer I'm guessing a 10 mm stereo outlet socket, maybe RCA, perhaps the old clamp or screw-down wire connectors. You'll need a cable with the two different sized or type of jacks/plugs on it, or a necessary adaptor. Griffin and Pudney are two brand names for audio equipment that come to mind right now. There's a large range of audio cables and adaptors.

I also want to use my itunes as a channel on my mixer, I'm guessing this is possible?

Sure is. Either switch the audio cable outlined above to Mac 3.5 mm out, and 10 mm (or whatever) in to your mixer; or have a separate cable for that. You'll still need to amplify pre or post mixer though, or does your mixer have a built-in amp?

Post again if you want any further explanation eg. how my eMac is set up to play via external amp/speakers (no mixer though, and I don't use line in); or how to convert analog recordings to digital for use in iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
How many channels is on your mixer?

OP
P
Reaction score
I have a imac intel core 2 duo - 1gb.
I am running Dell speakers at the moment just through the the standard output point.

Its a really basic 2 channel mixer.

Could you possibly link me to the cable i need? The more help the better, I'm quite new to this.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a imac intel core 2 duo - 1gb.
I am running Dell speakers at the moment just through the the standard output point. Could you possibly link me to the cable i need?

Here are three weblinks. Note that they are NZ-based but I insert them as a reference resource for you. The brand names are universal. You can both browse for what you need, and then purchase from a store or online source in your country.
http://bondandbond.resultspage.co.nz/search?login=false&items=0&subtotal=$0.00&w=audio+cables&pID=
http://bondandbond.resultspage.co.nz/search?login=false&items=0&subtotal=$0.00&w=audio+adaptors&pID=
http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/catalog/entry?entry=37 (start at Page 3)

Your "standard output" on your iMac will be a 3.5 mm audio, so that's your starting point. I'd still like to know what input and output ports/sockets you have on your mixer, then I can help you further.

Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can just plug a cable into your Line-in port that goes straight to your mixer, I strongly DO NOT recommend you using USB as it has a much slower transfer rate.

HRCA.jpg

I use a Line-IN to RCA cable, which you can pick up with little expense from any electrical store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.