Tight fit with iMac on desk, what to do?

Reaction score
Well, since today is my husband’s bday, I bought him a macbook. Should be interesting since he’s totally computer illiterate!

And...I also bought myself an iMac. Early bday I guess. ;D

Major dilemma, or perhaps not. I have a desk with a hutch on top and I wasn’t really prepared for the size of the iMac (20”). It will fit however I won’t be able to insert a disc unless I “swivel” the desktop. Is this cool to do or not? I should have just bought a macbook for myself as it would have fit my needs just fine. I may have to do that, but I really don't want the hassle of sending it back to Amazon and waiting even longer.

Any help would be appreciated. I found (through my vet, don't ask) a great guy with a business locally that’s an Apple guru that will set the whole thing up with the router, etc next week. I emailed him this morning, but haven’t heard back yet, he’s no doubt out doing what he does, so I thought I’d ask you guys if swiveling the desktop is an option. No doubt the first of MANY questions, coming from a windows environment. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I see nothing wrong with it. It's up to YOU though if you don't mind doing this every time you have to insert a CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage
Honestly I rarely use my disk drive and depending on the type of person you are if you use it or not. *shrugs* ya know. You could always take a chainsaw to the desk.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ack, I might take a chainsaw to my brain! After buying two macs AND the Airport Extreme base station, a desk is not in the budget.

I heard back from my guy and he said he rarely uses the drive anyway as he has an external hard drive. Since my husband will have the MacBook, we can always use that one for burning cds.

I still am not clear if I CAN swivel the iMac safely if need be? I measured, but sheesh, had NO idea it was so big. Looks smaller in the store (which is NOT near us, sadly enough). I can't even imagine a 24"!

Thanks for your help and the smile, Jennifer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
there should be nothing wrong with swiveling it.... what are you afraid of?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Unless it's a very violent swivel you should be fine.

My disk drive broke 2 months ago and so far I've only needed it once...

Reaction score
Hammer-Hutch-Whack-Dustbin:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Honestly I rarely use my disk drive and depending on the type of person you are if you use it or not. *shrugs* ya know. You could always take a chainsaw to the desk.

I agree, the only things I use discs for these days is the odd dvd I watch, but now I'm getting more and more movies and tv shows from online services like iTunes and almost every app is available as a download. The cd drive might not be something that you'll have to use that often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
Id be screwed without my disk drive, im burning cds all the time & playing football manager :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I have similar problem with my iMac, although I did make sure it fitted before buying it. I just swivel the LCD around a bit when I need to interest a CD or DVD, it's not a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
OP
J
Reaction score
On the Apple discussion boards, someone suggested this and says it's been totally cool for him. Looks good. http://raindesigninc.com/i360.html

I'm not afraid, well, perhaps a bit nervous after spending mucho dinero for the two macs. And I'm not near a store, so obviously don't want to screw up. Ha, my old Sony has been beat up pretty badly, but keeps on plugging away (albeit with all the idiotic Win annoyances). But the case and display has been fine. More or less.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.