Upgrading system to Tiger or Leopard

CLD

Reaction score
All

I have been reading the various threads on here and it has been very useful - thank you.
However, I just wish to clarify a few points -
we are thinking about upgrading our computers to either Tiger or Leopard -
(because we do not know how easy it is to get hold of Tiger) -
Could you tell me if these computers are compatible with Leopard ...

Mac OS version 10.3.9
Processor 1.6GHZ Power PC G5
Memory 1GB DDr SDRAM

Mac OS 10.3.9
Dual 2GHZ Power PC G5
Memory 1GB RRR SDRAM

Also, when we upgrade I have been reading it is best to do an archive and install? Is that correct? Does this mean everything on the computer gets wiped?

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Both machines will run Tiger or Leopard very well.
Mac OS X: System requirements

I would recommend increasing the ram, if possible, to the maximum limit. (depending on exact model)
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...emory-type-supported-number-of-ram-slots.html

As far as installation, the Archive and install will create a new system folder, but will leave your home folder and settings intact.
Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: About installation options

Make sure you have a backup of any important data before installing.

You can look on Ebay for both OS's. Both are readily availlable for purchase.
Personally, I would recommend Leopard. After using Tiger for awhile, you would probably want the new features of Leopard.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

Welcome to Mac-Forums! I hope this helps!

OP
C

CLD

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that - just the information I was after!
Could you tell me if it is possible for anyone to add extra ram to both an
Imac and Mac Pro - or is it something that need to be specially done.

With thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
I did a search for this topic and this thread is pretty much what I'm thinking of.

I have a G4 1.25 ghz iMac with Panther and am considering purchasing Tiger or Leopard on ebay. I found other threads where people ask if either will work on their older computer, but I was uncertain if the specs for my iMac would be equivalent to that of a MB or eMac. Should be, right? Same guts, but different body? From what I read I understand that my imac can handle both. I'll have to check to see how much ram I have; I don't remember.

For those of you with similar specs to mine, how does Tiger or Leopard run? Does one run/perform better or faster than the other?

Thanks for your opinions! :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like has been said already, both your machines will run either fine. Leopard is the most demanding and needs an 867Mhz G4 or more. 1GB RAM will run Leopard fine but I would suggest 2GB or more if you can get it and do a lot of things at the same time.

Which iMac is it? With the first 2 Runs of the iMac G5 you could change the RAM and HDD even yourself. It's that last 2.1Ghz with iSight that closed it up and made it just ONE DDR2 Dimm. Is that iMac the 1.6Ghz one? If so, easy to upgrade the RAM.

Your other machine is a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz correct?

If you get your RAM from OWC, they will guarantee it and you will get the exact RAM for your machines.

Gary, Leopard should run fine on that iMac G4 1.25Ghz but if you do go with Leopard over Tiger, be sure to Max out the RAM. Very important with Leopard. Leopard does take a bit longer to boot from a cold start than Tiger, but once in the OS, they are both quite fast on my 1.33Ghz iBook G4 and 1.25Ghz Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
Gary, Leopard should run fine on that iMac G4 1.25Ghz but if you do go with Leopard over Tiger, be sure to Max out the RAM. Very important with Leopard. Leopard does take a bit longer to boot from a cold start than Tiger, but once in the OS, they are both quite fast on my 1.33Ghz iBook G4 and 1.25Ghz Mac Mini.

Thanks dtravis! I don't remember how much ram I have. I'll max that out too if need be. I'm not in a big hurry to upgrade, but I'm thinking of doing so before the end of the year. I'm fine with Panther, but there are some things out there I'd like to get - freeware apps or purchaseable products - but require Tiger or above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.