• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

When will they put GPS chips/ GPS capabilities in laptops?

Reaction score
I've had my blackbook stolen and it seems the only solution I have is to file a police report and hope they find it. I want more than that. I want to be able to type in a GPS code or whatever and be able to find where my laptop is. Nobody really understands how it feels to have something as personal as your laptop being stolen from you. You feel invaded and at times paranoid. It's not a good feeling at all.

More and more people's laptops/belongings have been taken from them and more action needs to be taken. Will I see my blackbook again? I don't know. All I know is that if you had global coordinates to be able to pinpoint the location of your laptop then this would be a viable solution. This would also prove less work for police, because we know that police don't want to do too much work just to find one kid's laptop. This can be optional or mandatory but it needs to be done. Any comments/suggestions or is this already a possibility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
Police report is probably a good idea, but its not like they are going to actively search for it. Only if someone either turns it in or they catch it on someone that they are arresting or whatever, that is the only way itll get to them in the first place. Would be nice if something was on stuff like this though though (be it gps or etc...), I just actually lost my ipod touch, and someone clearly grabbed it from where it was, has all my contact info saved, emails, etc... so i just had to change all my passwords and some other stuff...... what a pain.....

I know you can buy that laptop program, lojack or whatever, that uses wifi networks to tell you where your computer is i believe. but you have to install it on the laptop before its gone.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
GPS on a laptop would be nice just for general use, let alone recovery. I'm still waiting for killer devices that will plug into my expresscard slot. That's the only part of my MBP that I completely loathe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that is true the usability of the gps alone would be great. Doesnt Microsoft and possibly some other companies make a GPS that plugs into your laptop and works with some map program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
yes they do but its not built into the machine. if any smart robber wanted to take the computer all they would have to do is disconnect it at the the usb port. heres what you are thinking of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes they do but its not built into the machine. if any smart robber wanted to take the computer all they would have to do is disconnect it at the the usb port. heres what you are thinking of.

yeah i wasnt thinkin that for security reasons, just usability for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I guarantee alot of people will be uncomfortable with GPS built in to a computer.

There are a lot of conspiracty theorists out there who are already afraid of big brother as it is. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lmao......

that is true, you talk to old people about computers and they just sit and tell you how people will hack their computer and learn all about them and watch them, while controlling their computer.

they make it sound so intense, it makes me lol....

some of these concerns are somewhat plausible I guess, but, they go a little over the top with it.

Reaction score
with the micro laptop increasing in popularity then it does make sense to have gps built in... Why not use your laptop instead of your tomtom?

jah

Reaction score
why:
-in most structures no reception, you have to be outside. this is an obvious situation while driving but kinda bulky
-why not use a bluetooth gps? they are not expensive, very small and you can mount them in the car for best reception near the windshield.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.1Ghz 250GB Hard Drive 2GB ram
not all of us have enough money to go out and spend on little luxurys like those little GPS that you put on your dash, i work at West Marine(boat stuff store) we also sell alot of the Garmin GPS systems, when you really take into consideration, its alot of money without a whole lot of purpose unless you travel excessively, personally i kinda like looking at maps and figuring where i want to go, to be able to sit in a passenger seat and watch where you are going on a BIG screen (not a 4in. screen) would be really cool

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.