Backup via Time Machine Failed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
wow I only setup my new Western Digital My Book Studio 500GB HDD last Saturday and now I have a failed backup:eek: I got a pop up message saying Time Machine unable to do backup or something, so went into Preferences/Time Machine/Latest Backup Failed.
Info: Sn error occured while copying files to the backup volume gahhh
What do I do?

Using Firewire too.

Thanks

EDIT: Did a google search as well and read a thread on Apple Discussions, and wow there are a lot of people with Time Machine failing to backup after the first backup:eek: Lot's of sugguestions but I wanted something simple to try before I go do anything big.
I found this: click on TM in the dock. There is an option "back up now". this is what I did and my backup worked!!

Solved for now:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you upgraded to 10.5.3 yet? There's quite a few bug fixes in that release. I'd give it a shot and see if it makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I noticed that 10.5.3 really does help with time machine, especially with time capsule. When I had a USB HD as my time machine I never had any issues, but time capsule gave me a lot of grief (errors mounting the disk and such). So far with 10.5.3 it seems to be going smoothly, I hope it stays that way.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Yep I did the update a few days ago, but my problem is solved now:)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
When my Time Machine on the iMac gave a failed backup, I found the firewire cable had vibrated slightly loose halfway through the process, I check it every time now before doing it.

Cheers :) :)

Hugh

ps the other strange thing is that it won't back up when my wife's sewing machine is working - interference ? ? weird

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.