Is Mail better than...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD
Hey guys,

I mainly use Gmail for emailing - sometimes Hotmail. I was wondering, is it possible to set up Leopard's Mail with my Gmail, AND, is it really worth it? Like, it's pretty easy to just log into gmail.com.

To those who use Mail, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using it compared to, say Gmail or Hotmail?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally find using apps like Mail and Thunderbird to be far superior to manually checking my email through the web based client. You leave the application running in the background, and it checks your email at a certain interval (I have mine set to every 5 minutes) and then notifies you when you have new mail. Saves you a ton of trouble of having to log in manually.

It's also really useful when you have multiple accounts that need checking. I have four email accounts that I use regularly, could you imagine how annoying it would be to manually check all four through webmail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I only have one account that I need to check - gmail. My gmail account collects my email from my other accounts.

I have Gmail notifier that automatically checks for new mail and handles the login. Gmails web interface and search facility is far superior to any mail client I've used..... all in my opinion of course.

So it comes down to personal preference I guess.

mrplow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I like gmail, but have 3 gmail accounts, 1 college account, and 1 work account. So maybe I should use mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Mail is awesome, that is how I have all my e-mail set up. It checks all my accounts and notifies me (via a red dot in my dock) when I have mail and how many I have total (every account). Its pretty awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I like gmail, but have 3 gmail accounts, 1 college account, and 1 work account. So maybe I should use mail.
You can also set GMail up to collect your other email and even send as other email addresses.

I use Mail.app, but still have gmail set up that way, so I don't have to log in to check my different accounts if I'm ever not at my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
http://www.google.com/mac/

i installed the google notifier from there, i actually couldnt be happier with it. It is the best of all worlds, it checks my mail at set intervals, i can read the summarized message from the drop down on my toolbar, check my inbox if i desire to read the whole message and when composing mail it lets me use the mac mail program.

watch the video its pretty sweet............!!!

it makes a noise when you get an email too(you can set it or turn it off), so when im around the house doin things I can hear it and take care of things if i need to. couldnt be happier with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage
I like to keep my gmail on my browser. Grab gmail notifier from google and it will auto check for you without taking up too much memory or without being in the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.