freezing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD
Does anyone else get the occasional freeze while using Safari? This seems to happen more since upgrading to 10.5.2. I hate having to hold down the power button to force shutdown.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does anyone else get the occasional freeze while using Safari? This seems to happen more since upgrading to 10.5.2. I hate having to hold down the power button to force shutdown.

When you say freezing, is it that the entire system freezes, or just Safari? Are you able to do a Force Quit (Option-Command-Esc)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" | 2.4GHz | 2GB | 256MB VRAM | 200GB HD

Actually yes, my mac is virtually brand new and while I have installed a few programs on it, it shouldn't be having problems this bad... Yet when I try to shut down the computer, it freezes, showing just my background and a little running "circle" thing. I've been planning to take it to the apple store when I have time. Really annoying.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually yes, my mac is virtually brand new and while I have installed a few programs on it, it shouldn't be having problems this bad... Yet when I try to shut down the computer, it freezes, showing just my background and a little running "circle" thing. I've been planning to take it to the apple store when I have time. Really annoying.

Much like Windows, it doesn't immediately shut down when you tell it to. It can sometimes take a minute or two. If you've been in the habit of forcibly powering it off, be aware that you may have made the problem worse by damaging the disk structure.

On a side note, since OS X is based on UNIX, it almost never needs to be shut down. Instead, I would recommend putting it to sleep. In sleep mode, it consumes just enough power to keep the contents of memory alive, and will then wake to exactly where you were when you put it to sleep. No need to wait for boot-up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Much like Windows, it doesn't immediately shut down when you tell it to. It can sometimes take a minute or two. If you've been in the habit of forcibly powering it off, be aware that you may have made the problem worse by damaging the disk structure.
This may help explain a little. Might even help solve some problems.
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
entire system freezes

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
entire system freezes

I would recommend that you download and run the maintenance scripts in Onyx and let us know how it goes. In UNIX-based OSes, it's nearly impossible for one program to freeze the entire system for a prolonged period. It's more likely that you have an underlying issue with your disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

On a side note, since OS X is based on UNIX, it almost never needs to be shut down. Instead, I would recommend putting it to sleep. In sleep mode, it consumes just enough power to keep the contents of memory alive, and will then wake to exactly where you were when you put it to sleep. No need to wait for boot-up.

Oh yeah, I understand that it takes a minute... but 10 minutes seems a little excessive, no???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Instead, I would recommend putting it to sleep.

Oh, and thats mostly what I've been doing since it won't shut down properly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah, I understand that it takes a minute... but 10 minutes seems a little excessive, no???

Yeah, ten minutes is excessive. I would recommend that you run the Onyx tool that I mentioned previously and see if that helps with the issue. You might also want to reset the PRAM (Press and hold Command-Option-P-R at startup until you hear the system chime three times, then release).

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I run Onyx, what exactly am I going to be doing? Like what results do I post?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I opened the app and it ran some sort of test and said "the startup volume appears to be OK"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I opened the app and it ran some sort of test and said "the startup volume appears to be OK"

Great. The next step would be to click the automation button. Check the following boxes:

1. Repair Permissions
2. Execute Maintenance scripts.
3. Cleaning: User Cache, Logs and CrashReporter & Temporary Items.

Then, click Execute. This will do most of the routine maintenance that needs to be done periodically. After all of this, reboot the machine and see if the problem persists.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, thanks! OnyX is awesome! I don't know if it fixed the problem or not but my computer feels slightly quicker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I did what you guys suggested and it seems to be shutting down again, too! Thanks!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.