Thinking Of Getting An Ibook, But is a mac right for me?

S

scoey

I know this isn't exactly the most unbiased place to post this but oh well..

Ok, I've decided to buy a laptop and I've been looking at different ones and have decided that I quite like the look of the iBook, so I'm thinking of getting one. But thats just it, I have never actually used one, I just like the look of them. Also I have a friend who doesnt actually have a mac but claims they're great, although when I asked him why he couldn't tell me ....

I'm in college but in all honesty I will probably hardly ever use the laptop for college related things. Also I have a good PC for playing games, and I'm not really that interested in playing PC games on the laptop.

So basically what I'm asking is will the iBook be able to do the following things.

1: Play DVDs well
2: Play divx movies well
3: Play good quality emulators of the snes and megadrive variety
4: Easily connect to the University wireless network

And thats basically it. Also is the Mac equivalent of Word included free or does it have to be purchased seperately.

Finally, I've never used a mac before, and to be honest I don't have any major problems with XP. Is the switch from Windows to OS X a difficult one. I experimented with using Mandrake Linux about a year ago and really didn't like it. Is OS X easier to use, in particular with regards to the installation of programs which I found to be a pain in the ass with linux.

Reaction score
1 - Should be good
2- Should work
3 - I don't know
4 - My University provides support for Mac.

A full version of Word doesn't come with an iBook, only a sample version.

OP
S

scoey

mynameis said:
1 - Should be good
2- Should work
3 - I don't know
4 - My University provides support for Mac.

A full version of Word doesn't come with an iBook, only a sample version.

Haha wow... thats a lot of indefinites. Could someone link me to a site which nicely lays out why I might want to get a mac over a PC , in a non fanboyish way. All I keep hearing is "they don't crash" , but my PC with windows xp doesn't crash either.

For someone who doesn't use Photoshop, or any other imaging programs that people say the mac is better for, and who is quite capable when it comes to using windows, is there really any point to getting a mac?

Reaction score
scoey said:
Haha wow... thats a lot of indefinites.
thats because I don't actually have a mac but at divx.com they have a version for mac and the screen is good enough to play DVDs and DVD drives are pretty much standard.

OP
S

saqe

i always been a pc user, and i recently bought an imac for school. it's not a harsh difference, easy to use.. u can buy it with an airport for wireless internet, ects.

OP
C

CaptainMack

1 works just like any other dvd player
2 just fine, through quicktime
3 yes. i use macmame (isnt snes, but there a plenty that ive tryed and they work)
4 should be very easy (never done it so i cant say

OP
D

dodjy001

i got my ibook for most of the above,
havn't got around to using thewireless network at uni yet but they offer all the support for macs.
it playsdvd's well, but i will still upgrade the ram when i get half a chance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
my school claims to not support macs....but here i am!
just ask your school if they support macs

it sounds like it will do everything you want it to do perfectly
-chris

OP
S

scoey

Mr.Guvernment said:
what is your budget?

About 1100 euros really, about the price of the cheapest iBook with some extra ram bought seperately from Crucial.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll be seeing if I can find a shop that sells one to get a demo tomorrow. But unless that's a disaster I should be ordering one in the next few days.

Thanks

OP
B

BroHaas

For your SNES Emulator Question.

SNES9x works well on my iBook. No ZSNES though, but SNES9X seems to do a good job. Hope that helps.

OP
S

scoey

Ok I'm going to be getting one of the 12' models in the next few days. Could someone recommend a cheap-ish small protective bag\sleeve to put it in. I don't want a proper laptop bag with a handle and all, just something small that will fit in a backpack and will protect the ibook.

Reaction score
scoey said:
Ok I'm going to be getting one of the 12' models in the next few days. Could someone recommend a cheap-ish small protective bag\sleeve to put it in. I don't want a proper laptop bag with a handle and all, just something small that will fit in a backpack and will protect the ibook.

I think the Shinza ZeroScock sleeve looks pretty neat, info on it can be found here: http://shinza.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_5&products_id=45 . A guy is selling one of the for sale part of this forum.

OP
F

flonejek

I use wireless pretty much every day, and panthers wireless support is great, as of yet there hasn't been a single network I haven't been able to connect too. At home I use a netgear broadband router, and compared to my mums top of the line toshiba , my iBook g4 gets quite a bit better reception :)

OP
K

Kowalski

scoey said:
1: Play DVDs well
2: Play divx movies well
3: Play good quality emulators of the snes and megadrive variety
4: Easily connect to the University wireless network
1. Yes.
2. Yes, although I recommend using VLC to do so.
3. Yes, there are plenty of emulators. Richard Bannister makes some of the best, in my opinion.
4. As long as they're not straying from standards, yes.

scoey said:
Finally, I've never used a mac before, and to be honest I don't have any major problems with XP. Is the switch from Windows to OS X a difficult one. I experimented with using Mandrake Linux about a year ago and really didn't like it. Is OS X easier to use, in particular with regards to the installation of programs which I found to be a pain in the ass with linux.

I think the Mac is easier to use and manage. The only weak area I've seen, in my three years using the platform, is gaming. But, it's not as bad as some would have you believe.

Also, you might find this link useful: X vs XP

Reaction score
I think the reason you're finding it hard to get a straight 'why is mac better' answer is becasue it's hard to quantify. I find they just feel better to use. hard to explain and with no real diffs just a better feel and nicer to use if you spend alot of time on them

OP
S

scoey

Ok thanks for the help. I ordered an iBook last night, so I guess now I just sit back and wait for it to get here...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.