How can I password applications?

J

jeray

I need to be able to password individual applications. Any Ideas how I can accomplish this? Can it be done within OS X or do you have to use third party software? If so, what are some programs designed to accomplish this?

Really It is just Entourage that needs to be locked up, but it would be nice to be able to lockout other apps too.

Thanks,

Jeray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The usual way under OS X is to set up different accounts for different users. (It's generally dangerous to let other people use your account, especially if you're an Administrator.) Set up a seperate, limited account for others to use, and enable Fast User Switching under Panther. This account will only have access to whatever applications you specify, and will never be able to access your files (or email.)

Whenever you leave your machine, log out (or switch to the Login Window.)

OP
J

jeray

OK, I have enabled Fast User Switching, but when I logout, it still asks if I want to close all applications and logout. Is there a place where you just switch users? Sorry to sound like such a newb, but this is the first experience I have had with system 10.

Thanks,
Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
With fast user switching enabled, you should have a new menu in the upper right with your username. If you pull down this menu, you should see a list of all available user accounts.

At the bottom, there should be a "Login Window" command. If you select this command, you'll password-lock your Mac, without actually logging out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.