macbook stuck on grey screen.

Reaction score
I was using my mac when it froze up, it absolutely wouldnt do anything so I took out the battery.

Now when I turn it on all the happens is I see a blank greyish white screen and the fan whirrs. As soon as the power button is pressed it turns off instantly.

I tried the command, option, p and r thing but it just beeps once then makes the restart sound again and nothing happens.

Can someone help please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you tried booting from your Tiger install disc and running Utilities>Repair Disk from ther?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
I was using my mac when it froze up, it absolutely wouldnt do anything so I took out the battery.

Now when I turn it on all the happens is I see a blank greyish white screen and the fan whirrs. As soon as the power button is pressed it turns off instantly.

I tried the command, option, p and r thing but it just beeps once then makes the restart sound again and nothing happens.

Can someone help please?

I had this same exact scenario happen to me today. I was working along as I have been since I bought the MBP, then the next second everything froze. I tried everything (including rebooting with the disc). Nothing has worked. I spent an hour on the phone with Mac support and they could not get it to work either. So, off to the Mac store I go to see the Geniuses at the Bar! 2 hours later..... I have to go back tomorrow! They could not get it to do anything without completely wiping it and re-installing the OS. I go back tomorrow with my external HDD to try and save what I can before they clean the thing out and do a complete re-install of OS X.

Unfortunately, they had not idea what it was or what caused it. Hopefully they can figure it out in the morning. Coincidentally, I updated to 10.5.3 late last night.... could be coincidence, might not be! Tread lightly.....

I will update as soon as I can get a straight answer on what actually went wrong....

Missing my MBP for sure though!

*Edit* - 15" MBP 2.6 4G RAM Leopard 10.5.3

OP
W
Reaction score
Hope to hear from you soon Macearly.

I really would like to know the cause of this problem.
I hope its just a software issue and not a hardware one so that I can jsut reboot from the disk myself, I'd try it now but I'm at uni and didnt bring it with me so I'll be macless for at least a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Hope to hear from you soon Macearly.

I really would like to know the cause of this problem.
I hope its just a software issue and not a hardware one so that I can jsut reboot from the disk myself, I'd try it now but I'm at uni and didnt bring it with me so I'll be macless for at least a week.

Can you boot into single-user mode? (apple and "s" keys while booting)
If so, at the prompt, type fsck -fy
It will force check and repair the startup disk. Run as many times as needed until it can find no problems. Then type reboot
See if it starts normally.

You can also try Safe mode. Hold "shift" during startup. It will help clear the caches and may help to startup normally as well.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi I'll try and boot into single user mode when I get in. But holding shift just just a single beep and then it just starts again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
OP
W
Reaction score
the beep only happens if i hold buttons down while I press the power button. If I knew what I was doing I would check the ram but I'm worried I'll do something wrong so I'll have to wait until I can to an apple store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.