How much would you spend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
On an iPhone or iPod touch application?

This is a bit vague, as there will probably be all sorts of apps, with varying degrees if sophistication and usefulness. So for the sake of this poll, imagine a mid-size utility app. Something like Transmit or VoodooPad on the Mac.

What would you pay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I went 0-5, I don't see wanting to pay more than that for an application for my ipod or iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i would say 0-5 for most apps. i would pay more if it is something that could be really useful for work and commuting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I wouldn't pay anything there already Free with Installer and Cydia and those are the same apps and games your going to buy through Apple.What is going to happen to all of your paid Apps and Games if you have to restore your phone? Are we gonna have to pay for them twice?I have 70 total on my phone I couldn't imagine paying $5.00 a piece for each then losing them all if I had to restore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd spend between $5 - $10 for a mobile app, but quality is going to be a huge factor.

I would even be willing to pay more if it was a unique application that fit a need that was designed really well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would only pay up to $10 if it was a really high quality application or if I absolutely needed it, but for most apps, I'd prefer the $0 to $5 range.

Reaction score
I voted for the 0-5 range. Unless its something that is a really good/useful piece of work, I cant see paying too much for it. Also, if it was my call, I would sell them in this range as well. Soooooooo many more buyers. Plus, if things are too expensive, that would be a great excuse to just keep hacking the phones. True, some still will no matter what the price, but if the prices are low, then it might help the "problem"

Edit: Touchpad pro, (application where you control your MacBook) is free for the basic, and for the "Pro" where you can see the computer on your iPhone screen, sells for $15. So there is an example I guess. And thats a very useful/neat program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
how about $0 - 0

open source freeware ftw!!

(i voted 0-5...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I'd pay up to $10, but like Kash said depends on quality of the app and its usefulness. I've seen some Apps through Installer.app that are just awesome.

But will have to wait and see what the developers are going to crank out. My only worry is that the developers that don't charge anything now might start charging for their apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch
I read that there is one company that has an app listed at $27!!!. Hope fully this is a rumor or just an insane developer. Apple is encouraging developers to charge for apps!!!! And have demos and light versions how dare they?!
Its all about the money .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Apple made it all about the money,With installer it was for the most part free. except for a few programs. I can't see paying for something that has been free since the beginning. Installer and Cydia always!! I don't see them going anywhere why pay when you can get it free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im sorry I don't follow, I am guessing your talking about jailbrakeing and/or hacking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm of the belief that 3rd party software has been free for the most part. Why start paying for it now.People act like the SDK is something new,do people really think the SDK is going to have a whole lot more than what is already out there.Like you said a $27 App what is so great about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah you make a good point. I jailbroke my phone once it was amazing I am hoping so bad for an app to customize background and icons.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Do people really think the SDK is going to have a whole lot more than what is already out there.Like you said a $27 App what is so great about it?

Well, how about the fact that having the SDK gives you... an SDK!

Up until the release of the SDK most of the programming was done through guesswork, reverse engineering and by making assumptions based on the way mac apps are written.

The SDK allowed people to see which methods and functions are available on the iPhone and even "jailbreak apps" have improved greatly as a result.

I guess it'll be the same as with mac apps now: You'll have your adium's, transmission's etc. and you'll have "paid for" counterparts to those too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its going to be very interesting how many free ones there will be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.