Get a Macbook now or hold off on one?

Reaction score
I've been interested in apple laptops lately and both the Macbook and Macbook Pro interest me. I planned on getting a Macbook initially and as I did some rumor searching I read about an update to the Macbook coming in June. Unfortunately though, it seems that this update to the processor, as well as an overall redesign, has been pushed back even further.

I pretty much want, maybe even need, another computer pretty soon. I'm an avid PC gamer and while I like that machine, I could definitely get a laptop with a different operating system on it. However, I really don't know how long I can hold off until one. The latest rumor mentions the new chips being released in July, and then who knows when the macbooks will get those chips? There's hearsay of August or even September -- much too far for me.

I don't want to get a Macbook now only to find out a much better one is released next month. It's not like Apple is going to let me trade in my laptop or something.

What about the rest of ya'll -- what's your take on this?

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. I need a laptop for school but luckily I can hold off until August. Apple never officially released news on upcoming iterations so everything is essentially hearsay.

Reaction score
If we always waited for the next best thing to come along, we'd never buy anything. I thought about waiting, but I picked up my new MBP the other day, and I couldn't be happier. Installed Windows using Bootcamp and getting ready to game until my heart is content.

I say go for it, but get the MBP if you intend on doing any gaming.

Reaction score
Since the WWDC is just a few days away, I would wait and see what is announced then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Buy it now, you won't see any new Mac (or PC) laptops with new Centrino 2 until after September. This is because Intel has delayed the launch of the Montevina Platform.

However, if you can wait until the end of Q3 then wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
if you are waiting for the next thing wait to see what is announced at wwdc. but remember that if you are always waiting for the next thing to come around then you will never buy a new computer as technology is always updating.

also keep in mind if you buy now your mac will still be good for several years.

personally i would wait to see what is announced.

OP
U
Reaction score
Question: How crappy are the Macbook keyboards? I've used a Powerbook which is the precursor to the Pro, so I don't know if the Macbook keyboard will be the same thing. I've heard they're pretty shoddy though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i love mine. it took about an hour to ket use to the keys compared to my old laptop. the keys are spaced a little father apart then most keyboards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
Question: How crappy are the Macbook keyboards? I've used a Powerbook which is the precursor to the Pro, so I don't know if the Macbook keyboard will be the same thing. I've heard they're pretty shoddy though.

i actually love my macbook keyboard more than anything. From how the keys feel when I push them, to size and everything.

first day was weird, now at work or anywhere else im not using my macbook im just like, *** this keyboard sucks...

in my opinion it feels very solid and nice to type on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.