Destroyed headphone jack

Reaction score
I have just managed to send 48v phantom power straight back into the headphone jack of my macbook pro, resulting in nothing but hissing when I connect the headphones now!! Am kicking myself for such a stupid mistake, but if anyone has any idea what can be done about this it would be much appreciated! (ie. having to replace just the jack, or maybe the entire logic board).

The speakers still work fine aswell. Just the headphone jack.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well since you have sound from the speakers at least you did not blow the sound chip. Only issue is the Headphone jacks on modern Macs like yours are also a Optical Digital out also. That jack nothing unless the OS is loaded making me think there is some kind of active circuitry involved which you probabaly blew. Do you have Apple Care by chance? It sounds like something on the Logic board probably blew with the 48V into the jack.

I know you are new here but please do not post the same message twice in 2 threads. This one is the proper place to post your question. Thanks and good luck.

Maybe someone else here will know more about that Jack.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry about that, accidentally posted it into the software thread before realising what Id done.

If by Apple care you are asking if its still under warranty, then yes it is. Only just purchased it in December

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
any physical marks on the headphone jack? if not just don't tell them that you sent that much power into the jack (that would probably void your warranty) just say it stopped working :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
you fry it, you buy it. Dont pawn it off on applecare. bad advice :(

Reaction score
I have the same problem, I unplugged my speakers from the wall and when I plugged them back in it fried my headphone jack.... just hear static out of it now but the internal speakers are fine.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.