• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recording an iMac screen with component video

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I suppose you would use the same adapter that allows you to output to a TV set and you may have to reset the resolution of your Mac display to something very low. I wouldn't expect the quality to be great.

What is your intent for the recording? Perhaps using a screen capture application would be the better.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm actually making a how-to DVD. I plan to record myself talking (with titles and everything) and record my iMac screen (again, as I talk). Someone recommended the HV30 camera (which costs a comfortable $800) but it only has component in which doesn't seem to be compatible for the iMac. And the camcorder I'm getting has to be Mini-DV format.

The other camcorder I'm looking at has S-video in which is ideal for recording an iMac screen. The only catch is, it costs $2200 and I dont want to spend that much.

Someone also recommended something called ScreenFlow:

http://www.varasoftware.com/products/screenflow/

It's a Mac only program that records Mac screens inside the mac itself. But then how can I put that footage together with the footage of me (via the camcorder) to edit everything for the DVD?...Because I'm still not sure if the Sony HV-30 can dump stuff onto a Mac and vice-versa.

That's my whole problem right now, it's a component input issue. I'm starting to get the feeling I'll have to get the XV 2100. It has S-video input which would solve everything but I'll be out two grand. :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It all sounds a bit backwards to me.

I think you should subscribe to The Mac Show from the ITIdiots guys and watch their Final Cut Express episode (14). On that linked page there are two subscription buttons, the HD would be the better one to use. The buttons are on the left side. This particular episode may demonstrate what it is you are trying to do. You'll need a high speed internet link because the episodes are large.

What vintage is you iMac (processor)? What version of the operating system are you using on it? Do you have iMovie and iDVD and if so what are their versions?

How I'd do it...

1) record the application sample from the screen using a screen recorder.
2) video tape my self, perhaps while performing the application actions.
3) save the screen recording to a format editable in my video software.
4) hook up the camera to the Mac and import the video into my video software.
5) edit the content into the end result I'm looking for.
6) put it into iDVD and burn a disc and test before replicating.
6b) skipping iDVD could be accomplished by exporting the video to your camera and hooking it up to an external DVD recorder.

If you are wanting to overlay the video of you, you'll need Final Cut Express or a perhaps a plug in for iMovie HD as iMovie 08 doesn't have that ability.

Given you have a budget, you could buy a camera and FCE which is only US$199.

Tip: You may want to look into resizing your Mac screen for the recording to end up with the sharpest results.

Apparently you are new to this, so expect a bit of a learning curve.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.