I have a tricky, interesting problem.

QFT

Reaction score
I inherited a Macbook with a broken screen. I'm not going to fix the screen, because that is insanely expensive, but it will make a very nice multimedia box for my HDTV.

The problem is, I had to buy a new hard drive for it and now I've got to install things like OSX and XP on it without the benefit of a primary screen. This is hard.

I hooked it up to my TV and booted to the Leopard CD. That worked, and I can see the Leopard background on my TV, but it's the secondary screen - meaning all the important stuff I need to see and click is on the (broken) laptop screen. Pressing the F7 button does nothing to change video modes.

So, I can't seem to switch things to a working monitor. And I don't have another macbook lying around, so I can't swap the HDDs and install it on a good one and then swap them back.

Ideas? Anyone have a step-by-step graphical Leopard installation guide so I can figure out which keyboard shortcuts I need to press?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you priced a new screen for your MacBook? They're not as expensive as you suppose. Check it out here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/MacBook-13-Inch/86

A new screen varies in price anywhere from $299 to $399; not what I would consider "insanely expensive".

Regards.

OP
Q

QFT

Reaction score
You're right, that's not absolutely terrible (cheaper than I thought), but I already have enough laptops... I just want to use this as a nice multimedia box for my TV, so replacing the screen really wouldn't do much except waste money on something I'd rarely look at.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.