Occasional Trackpad Failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D | 2.66 GHz | 2GB RAM | 300GB HDD | OSX 10.6.2
I have small reason to believe that my MBP trackpad received a small amount of water damage. Although I tried to dry it out as much as possible (hair dryers are so useful) the trackpad does work but on the ocassion would fail. If If I'm using, for example, Safari and the mouse locks up, the windows scroll but the mouse cursor stays still. Whenever the cursor does lock it, it doesn't last for longer than 5 seconds. If I send my MBP to Apple, would they repair it and if there is a price how much would I expect to pay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 Core 2 duo, Alienware 7700 3.2ghz, Iphone,Imac g5,Powebook 15" 1.5ghz
OP
Unit134679
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, that guide is to replace the keyboard not the trackpad. Besides paying Apple around $400 to replace the trackpad I don't know if I want to open up my MBP and DIY. This is my first and only Apple laptop and I've had it since April 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Could also be where the trackpad ribbon connects into the logic board. Happens all the time at work, the ribbon barley pulls out causing the stability of the trackpad to fluctuate. This is on G4's though, but I'm almost positive that the MacBook Pro's use the same Ribbon setup.

OP
Unit134679
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So there could be a possibility that there is no damage and just a loose trackpad ribbon? Interesting...still dunno if I wanna open this up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
So there could be a possibility that there is no damage and just a loose trackpad ribbon? Interesting...still dunno if I wanna open this up

Yes, I work with over 2,000 G3, G4, and Macbook's, and I have never come across a bad trackpad, ever. Have had plenty of loose ribbons which caused them to stop working or work on and off.

If I had to guess its either a software glitch (small chance), or the ribbon is loose. *Water damage in the ribbon connecter could cause this as well.

OP
Unit134679
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting...I never knew about that. Guess I should open it up then and check it. How much would a new ribbon connecter cost if it is in fact water damaged?

I doubt its a software glitch because I actually reinstalled OSX (its what I get for screwing with what should not be screwed with) and I still have problems with it.

What are the ramifications of opening up my MBP? I was planning on getting AppleCare and I don't think I could then. Don't know if I want to void any warranties (if any still exist).

OP
Unit134679
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any comment? Any at all?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.