using a larger monitor

Reaction score
I just got a mac book pro and at my office, use a larger monitor (non apple).

Is there a way I can close the lid of the computer completely without everything on the screen going black?

Right now I have the lid open enough so that I can see what's on the larger monitor, but I'm hoping to be able to close the lid completely to save the mac book's screen, since i dont use it while at work.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
hmmm *frowns* there should be a work around, using something called insomniaX.

InsomniaX is a program that disables the sleep command triggered by closing the lid, I use it so I can have my music working while I work without the distraction of the computer

you can find it here and it's absolutely free :)

This should solve your problem

Dave

OP
M
Reaction score
seems like a good fix but what happens when i unplug my monitor at the end of the day and take my mac home... i'll close the lid but it wont go to sleep.

I would have thought there would be some kind of setting to allow an external monitor and make the mac behave accordingly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's not that hard, folks...

1. Plug monitor in
2. Plug mouse/keyboard in
3. Close laptop.
4. Click mouse or tap keyboard to wake computer

OP
M
Reaction score
doesn't work for me.. when I do that I get a "no video" message on my monitor and tapping or clicking doesn't do a thing until I open the lid back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
doesn't work for me.. when I do that I get a "no video" message on my monitor and tapping or clicking doesn't do a thing until I open the lid back up.

Make sure you have checked "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" in preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
I'm confused... my monitor is not bluetooth?

If your keyboard or mouse is bluetooth, you will need to have that checked to ensure your computer will wake from sleep and send the image to the external monitor when you click on the mouse or keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
actually, you can choose to enable or disable insomniaX which will give you control over the sleep function, so you can turn it off when you don't need it

Dave

EDIT:: Please check what you think is a good idea or not before giving neg rep, this is a perfectly acceptable way of subverting the sleep command without any problems. It is infact a great idea.

OP
M
Reaction score
I think my mouse is bluetooth.. logitech wireless mouse but when I asked the mac to find a bluetooth device it couldnt find it.

OP
M
Reaction score
where do i find insomnia x?

If your keyboard or mouse is bluetooth, you will need to have that checked to ensure your computer will wake from sleep and send the image to the external monitor when you click on the mouse or keyboard.

actually, you can choose to enable or disable insomniaX which will give you control over the sleep function, so you can turn it off when you don't need it

Dave

EDIT:: Please check what you think is a good idea or not before giving neg rep, this is a perfectly acceptable way of subverting the sleep command without any problems. It is infact a great idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There should be a link in one of my posts....

well here's another one :)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30315

Download and install and insomnia will put a little icon on the menu bar. Using this men you can enable or disable insomnia according to your needs. Enable it when you want to use the mac with the external monitor, and simply turn the brightness of your mac screen all the way down, close your mac and it'll stay running.

Disable it and you mac will sleep just like it normally would :)

Just don't disable hibernation lol, that's something different

Any other questions you can PM me ^^

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.