Newbie Looking to Learn how to create website

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new to web design and all. I want to ask you, the more experienced mac users: what is the best way I should learn how to create a website using my mac, and what programs do you consider the most helpful?
I have a business idea in mind, and I want to be able to create a website for it. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sincerely,
Cody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
i would really recommend learning/using CSS. for making a simple website its really nice and you can do lots with it and even make complex stuff.

I use text mate and its great, well worth the purchase for all it does and im just starting to be able to use it to its fullest.

I also enjoy using flash and a few others included with the CS3 suite.

but yeah, CSS isnt that bad, youd have to know HTML first, but both of these are pretty basic...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How much do you know already

complete newbie

knows a bit about html

knows html but want to get a knowledge of CSS layout

OP
C
Reaction score
How much do you know already

complete newbie

knows a bit about html

knows html but want to get a knowledge of CSS layout

I would have to say, from an experience standpoint, I am a newbie. I understand what html is and what not, however, I have zero experience using/creating.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you played around with iWeb yet? Granted, it's simplistic in terms of web design tools, but it came with your Mac and will certainly get you started.

Beyond that, I would recommend Rapidweaver, which is a very easy to use WYSIWYG editor that can create more complex sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would start out with iweb

as you start wanting to mess with code as you get to know more, look at Coda and Rapidweaver, just as cwa107 said

when you get to the CSS stage - I have a good guide and tutorial that will let you play with CSS and figure it out hands on

Reaction score
Even though I haven't messed with iWeb a lot, I would recommend starting there. But once you start to get ahold of HTML/CSS, then the Adobe suite is good to have, or just Dreamweaver if you can't afford the suite.

-AK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Rapidweaver will suit all of your needs, if you have Leopard, the new version, RW4, is due to be released in 4 hours. I think its brilliant, have a look at my site and see what can be done with it, http://www.sheehanonline.net and drop me a line.
http://realmacsoftware.com/
cheers mate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
I really do not recommend using WYSIWYG editors such as dreamweaver and iWeb for the following reasons:

1. WYSIWYG editors will not allow you to make websites that work in all popular browsers.

2. The code created by WYSIWYG editors is not strict validated X/HTML. There will be errors.

If you want to create a professional (please note, professional does not mean complicated) website, you are better off getting a book on XHTML and CSS. Using these two languages you can create some very good looking websites.

Use DIV's to layout your websites and not tables. Don't make all flash websites, they are not user friendly. Use bits of flash embedded in your XHTML.

Validate all your code. See the validators on W3C website.

Create all your code in a good text editor. Learn how HTML and CSS interact and work and you'll be a few months away from making professional websites without having to spend any money on expensive design software.

Let me know if anything here needs more explanation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
I really do not recommend using WYSIWYG editors such as dreamweaver and iWeb for the following reasons:

1. WYSIWYG editors will not allow you to make websites that work in all popular browsers.

2. The code created by WYSIWYG editors is not strict validated X/HTML. There will be errors.

If you want to create a professional (please note, professional does not mean complicated) website, you are better off getting a book on XHTML and CSS. Using these two languages you can create some very good looking websites.

Use DIV's to layout your websites and not tables. Don't make all flash websites, they are not user friendly. Use bits of flash embedded in your XHTML.

Validate all your code. See the validators on W3C website.

Create all your code in a good text editor. Learn how HTML and CSS interact and work and you'll be a few months away from making professional websites without having to spend any money on expensive design software.

Let me know if anything here needs more explanation...

agreed for the most part..... I use alot of flash and I know that hurts some of my google indexing possibilities, im just stubborn and like flash....lol

in regards to WYSIWYG editors I generally completely agree though. In addition to adding buttloads of extra code, say something you could do in 1 line taking it like 10, they also rarely look the same across all browsers. Additionally they generally do stuff in weird ways, and as said tables are NOT the way to go for organization anymore. DIV's are where its at.

I put off learning CSS cause i was stubborn and lazy, that was a mistake. Seeing how easy it is now and how much more you can do with it makes me wonder why I was so stubborn.

by changing JUST the CSS on a website (the style sheet) you can do drastic changes, check this out;

http://www.csszengarden.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2GB, 250 GB HD, 2.5Ghz; 32 GB iTouch

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.