connecting up time capsule

Reaction score
I have just bought a Time Capsule

There are 2 ways I can connect it up.

1) to join my existing Wireless network (Netgear N)

2) Use the time capsule to create the wireless network

Which way is better.

Also how long does the time capsule take to back up, its been 24 hours an only 8 Gigs have been backed up. (this is the first backup)

Thanks

Antony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Go through this most and you will know what to do. Also search for "time capsule" in the forum and you see a lot of threads with all kinds of questions and answers.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=638153#post638153

On step 8 on the above post, you would have to select Share a single Ip with DHCP and NAT if you are connecting your Time capsule directly to your modem and you would have to select Bridge Mode if you are getting the cable to the WAN port from an another router.

Reaction score
I'm not sure which way is better, but I set up my network with Time Capsule.

As for your first backup, it sounds like it's taking quite awhile. My first backup took 6-8 hours, and my HD had about 40ish gigs of used space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Personally, I'd dump the Netgear router and use your Time Capsule. I have an Airport Extreme base station (Times Capsule minus the HDD) and it is easily the best router I've ever owned.

OP
B
Reaction score
John I took your advice, so much better and now the BACKUP IS SO MUCH FASTER.

I dont know why they just dont say this, make the time capsule the base station.

Reaction score
Personally, I'd dump the Netgear router and use your Time Capsule. I have an Airport Extreme base station (Times Capsule minus the HDD) and it is easily the best router I've ever owned.

One thing I read about, but have not tried, is to set up your Time Capsule/ Airport Extreme Base Station as your Network setup. With your old router (Netgear, Linksys, whatever), connect it to your TC/AEBS and create a second network through your existing network. Have all of your non-"n" capable devices (Wii, iPod Touch, etc...) connect to your old router's network, and have all of your N capable devices (MBP, etc..) connect through TC/AEBS.

From what I read, having a non-N device connected to your TC/AEBS will slow down everything on the network, whereas connecting it to a second router that's connected to your base station will not.... That's just what I read though. Not sure if it's true, or how to do it, but I've held onto my Linksys router just in case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.