Reliable firewire hub for Mac Mini?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Mac Mini with a single firewire port. That was fine for a while with just the iSight webcamera. Now, in addition I have a Western Digital external harddrive that I want to use for Time Machine, so have a need for a firewire hub.

I tried the Belkin AC-powered 6 port hub

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=193393

which would work for a while, but would stop working every so often. A power off and on of the Mac Mini was required to revive it. I got a replacement but it was no better. Belkin customer support were useless in answering power output per port. So, I returned it.

I'm guessing the hub is under powered to support both the camera and the external harddrive.

Does anyone has good experience with a particular brand of firewire hubs?

Cheers,

Marc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
To offer a contrary opinion, I have been using a powered Belkin 6 port Firewire hub for over two years now with no issues whatsoever. Mine LOOKS identical to the one in your link. Perhaps you just got a bad unit?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Do either of you have anything as power hungry as an external harddrive through the firewire hub?

I doubt it was a bad unit, the replacement one I got had the same behaviour.

Cheers,

Marc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Do either of you have anything as power hungry as an external harddrive through the firewire hub?

I do. I run a G-Tech 250 GB Firewire G-Drive through the hub, along with an iSight camera. It all works very well together.

Power shouldn't be an issue - it is a powered hub. Dumb question, but I have to ask: you do have it plugged in, don't you?

OP
M
Reaction score
ha ha - yeah, it was definitely plugged in. iSight and external HD into the hub, hub to the mac mini.

It would work for a while, then crap out.

Power off and on the mac mini and all comes back to life for a while.

Interesting to hear you (mac57) have exactly the setup I'm looking for....maybe a bad batch?

I'll look into the trendnet hub also.

Thanks again for the responses.

Cheers,

Marc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.