MBP freezes when FW800 drive is on

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I recently purchased a G Drive that has FW800. Once I got it I partitioned it evently for a "Data" drive and a "Time Machine" drive. I configured Time Machine to use the appropriate partition. All was working well until Time Machine started always going to a "Preparing Backup" state. When this happened some of my applications would also freeze up causing me to hard restart my computer by holding down the button. When the computer boots back up it hangs at the grey screen before the spinning wheel and then at the blue screen before the login screen shows up.

I ran Onyx to make sure the disk permissions were correct along as well as the maintenance scripts. I cleared the system and user cache too. The problem still persisted so I reformatted my computer thinking that I had a corrupt file or something else.

Once I formatted my computer everything seemed to be running well but then the problem started back again. I have since turned off the external drive so Time Machine doesn't run and I haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? All my USB ports are filled, one with EyeTV Hybrid and the other with a USB hub, so I really want to continue using FW800 for my drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.