linking two Macs

Reaction score
so i've had my macbook for a while now but my brother just got a new imac

we want to link them up so i can access his music and vice versa, can i do this wirelessly without an airport extreme device or having to pay for more hardware =P

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
the only way i know of to do this is to just buy a wireless router.(doesnt even have to be wireless but why not :D)

these things are so cheap you could probably pick up a decent one on ebay for like 20 bucks.

if you play lots of games i have the dlink gaming router that works great with my xbox and xbox live as well as all the computers at my house. even that one was only 100 bucks on ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im not sure what bt stands for... lol, probably something im just not realizing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
oh cool, is a bt home hub a wireless router? =P

Yes the BT HomeHub is a wireless router and come pre-configured as such out-of-the-box.

There's a sticker on the HomeHub that shows your SSID (name of your wireless network) and the Nerwork Key required.

Just turn on your Airport on your Mac and it will detect your wireless network and display the SSID. Click on it to connect and enter the network key when prompted.

Repeat for all you macs. Then go into System Preferences and turn on file sharing.

That's just a quick overview. Post back if you have any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
id recommend slapping some type of wep or something on the wireless if possible depending on where you live.

there are lots of free loading hippies around my apartment that used to hop on mine all the time... >_<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
id recommend slapping some type of wep or something on the wireless if possible depending on where you live.

there are lots of free loading hippies around my apartment that used to hop on mine all the time... >_<

The BT Home Hub comes pre-configured with either WEP or WPA encryption (depending on the version you have).

OP
C
Reaction score
hey cheers guys, it kinda worked =S

for a bit anyway - i was a in hurry but he managed to get my files fine but now i cant see to view his and i dont come up on his finder =S

i tried using finder to get his HD but its not finding it, im pretty sure i have the right settings aswell

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.