Toslink to Mini Toslink Help

Reaction score
Hi,
I need major help. I've tried to find my answer online but I really don't understand electronics as well so it really didn't help.

Basically, I am trying to connect my macbook to my hdtv. I went to the apple store, and the guy kindly helped me and told me what to purchase. The picture part worked out perfectly, after using hdmi-dvi connector.

The problem Im having is with my audio. I purchased a toslink to mini toslink cable. I know that I'm supposed to plug in the mini toslink onto my macbook (the audio thing by the headphone input) but I just can't plug in my toslink onto my hdtv. but I have a dvi audio thing that fits mini toslink on my hdtv. Should I purchase another mini toslink adaptor? I also have a digital audio output but it doesnt fit neither of my toslinks... Help please?

thank you in advance!! I really need to figure this out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Firstly make sure you have your optical cable connected to the headphone socket, not the one next to it.

Next, we need to work out exactly what the audio input is on your TV. Is it definitely an optical input?

What make and model TV do you have?

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,
thank you for your response. I couldn't find any plug ins cabled optiical output/input on my tv. I could only find Digital Audio Output and a DVI audio thing....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
"DVI Audio" could be just about anything I'm afraid, could just be a 3.5mm stereo jack....

Do you know the make and model of TV so I could look up the specification?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The toslink cable you're using is an optical cable. You don't appear to have any optical inputs on your TV.
The mac can output L & R stereo out of the headphone socket as well as optical so I think the only way you'll get audio is to use a 3.5mm stereo jack -> L & R RCA connectors like this

OP
B
Reaction score
ohhh i see. I would have purchased that but at the Apple store, the guy told me to buy the toslink one since its for a hdtv.

Thanks again for your help!! I really appreciated it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.