powerbook+ multiple monitors

Reaction score
How would I go about adding two external monitors to my powerbook? I can easily plug in another monitor and use it and the powerbook monitor but I want to basically just use my powerbook for the engine..keeping the display closed and use two flatscreens for display. Do I need to use a splitter to go from the video port to two monitors?

Thanks!

D

Dave_L

You should be able to obtain a monitor splitter box/adapter & various monitor cables, BUT you will only have the same image on both external monitors (mirror). You will not be able to extend the desktop across both monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The most you can get out of a PowerBook (or any laptop, Mac or PC) is one external plus the built-in display.

If you split the video-out, as Dave L said, you'll get the same image on both externals (plus the extended image on the internal.)

If you had a desktop tower, you could add additional video cards, up to however many PCI + AGP slots you had. No room for these in a notebook, though.

V

VastDeathmaster

There is a program out there that allows certain macs to have the desktop spanned over the original display and a second. I imagine if you added a third display with some box it would mirror instead of span, but that is only a guess.

The program is called something like Span Doctor. I have used it on my yearold eMac without issue, though my iBook was not on the list of compatible hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That program is made for the systems that do not support extended desktops...the powerbooks do but since he is just splitting the video out signal it would not span it

Reaction score
technologist said:
The most you can get out of a PowerBook (or any laptop, Mac or PC) is one external plus the built-in display.

not exactly true because i have seen setups with 3 external flat screen monitors....god it was beautiful

no idea how they did it though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can have 3 flat screen monitors mirroring the images but you can not do screen spanning unless you have a PowerMac with extra video outputs

S

sivp

i saw a software somewhere on the internet, i forgot wat it's called and it was pretty expensive, but it allowed you to use 3 seperate monitors over your network.

example powerbook
\
monitor one from pc 1
monitor two from pc 2
monitor three from pc 3

this may not be what your looking for, but it certainly sounder cool when i first saw it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ha! Once again I triumphantly turn up with the impossible and tell you:

It IS possible, provided you have a 15 or 17" powerbook with pcmcia slot.

Then all you need is this pcmcia graphics card to add a second dvi/adc port to your 'book.

http://www.welovemacs.com/vtbook.html

You can thank me later ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
as far as i know there already 2 video outs on a PB( s video and DVI) the pcmcia card sounds very cool aptmunich.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.