Clicking issue - Won't click unless clicked elsewhere first

Reaction score
This is my first post. =D The inspiration for this post is an issue with clicking (either with a mouse or the trackpad button or the trackpad double click). The click will not register. The only way to 'fix' this probem is to click elsewhere first and then try clicking again.

An example of this is trying to close a Safari tab: I would try to close it by clicking on the 'X' but the click would not register. The only way to get it to close would be to click somewhere inside of the page or anywhere else and then re-click the 'X' to close the tab again. Because I have seen this over and over again, I am pretty sure this is not a hardware fault, but some kind of protection the operating system does to help protect closing windows by accident(?).

Anyone have some insight on this 'problem.' I would love for this to be in system preferences and have this issue go away. It is really annoying. Thanks in advance!

OP
N
Reaction score
Update:

Steps to reproduce this clicking issue:
1) Make a scroll-down tab in safari and put some bookmarks in there.
2) Click that scroll-down tab to expand and the click a second time to collapse the tab.
3) A THIRD click to re-expand the tab will be useless. This is one of the useless clicking issues I'm talking about. The other would be closing these tabs or even the Safari windows.

OP
N
Reaction score
oh wow nevermind!

Solution: Just going into system preferences and changing 'double click speed' fixed the problem. Hah that was easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, the problem is the double-click detection. If it's set too long and you're clicking to fast, it will register it as a double-click. The bookmark dropdowns in your bookmarks bar have nothing assigned to double-click, so nothing happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.