Changing Channels?

Reaction score
I'm still having a problem with my wireless router connection (my Airport card shows the network, but the "fan" is greyed out, and if I choose the network it still doesn't connect - When I check network status I get "AirPort connected to network, but has self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect...)

I can temporarily fix the problem by going into System Preferences to Network to Airport to Preferred Networks to Assist Me and THEN it will go to my network and turn on the path.

I'm running Tiger 10.4.11 on a G5 iMac with the original AirPort Extreme card, and routing through a Linksys WRT54G attached to a cable modem.

There are a lot of networks in my area, according to my wireless "fan".

If changing channels on my router might fix this, I'd like to give it a try, but I don't know how, AND I don't want to ruin the signal to the other computers in the house, which, by the way, work just fine when the iMac loses the signal.

If there's another way to tell the router to ignore the self-assigned IP address, or to get the AirPort to stop providing this ...

Can some kind soul please point out the correct path? My tech support (teenager) will be home from college this week, and if I can prove to him that it won't ruin everything I think he'll be up to the challenge.

OP
D
Reaction score
Anyone???

The problem is obviously the self-assigned IP address. The question is what is causing this?

Is it the AirPort Extreme Card?
Is it the Linksys Wireless router?

How do I test to see which it is, without losing the signal from the router to the other computers in the house?

With so many people having the same problem, there must be an answer somewhere.

Please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.