DVD problems ... replacement cost?

Reaction score
I was wondering what might be cheaper. My optical drive, like many others, has died. I could go to the Apple Store and get it replaced or I could get an external drive. Mobility isn't really an issue, so it wouldn't kill me to have the external drive so that won't factor too much. I just need to know which option would be cheaper I guess, because I don't want to spend double on replacing the drive when I could get a better drive thats just external. Also, is that even a good idea? I know a lot of posts I've read on forums suggested to just get it replaced at the apple store, but I never thought it would make much of a difference...

...and if, in fact, getting an external drive is what you suggest, might you give me a suggestion or two on which one I should get? While I'm at it, I'm open for suggestions for an external HD which is another purchase that will be made pretty soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I would suggest getting an external drive, and I say why not the MBA external drive??

And welcome to the M-F community!

OP
K
Reaction score
I completely forgot to mention, I'm going to need the drive to work for my Windows partition too...which shouldn't make much of a difference I wouldn't think but I have no experience with external drives of any type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
LG actually makes a nice slim DVD Drive/burner. I can't remember the model number off hand. You might also want to check that out. I think it is very competitively priced compared to the MBA USB Superdrive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.