Time Machine/Time Capsule

Reaction score
Hi

I think this is likely to be a simple problem (or maybe a stupid one) but I can't resolve it and its doing my nut in! So I would be most grateful if anyone on here can point me in the right direction.

I have a Macbook, I got a time machine and also updated to Leopard at the same time.

The time capsule is running as a wireless network and connected tot eh internet via my router ok and everything shows up ok under the Airport Utility, the green light is on and no problems are reported etc.

When I click on the time machine it says "no back up has been selected" when I go to the Time Machine preferences the selection list is blank. Also under Finer the time capsule is not shown as shared device which I think it should be.

I have installed all the necessary updates from the apple site and I have reset the Capsule several times but I am unable to fix the problem!

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Many thanks

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
Well I haven't had a chance to have a look at the time capsule.

But this is what I understand from what you are saying:
You said you have connected your time capsule to your "router"...which means you will probably have two different wireless networks..one created by your old router and a new one created by your time capsule.

And your computer might be connected to the wireless network created by the router. So I'd recommend you to switch your computer to the wireless network created by the time capsule. It should work fine after that.

Cheers.

OP
D
Reaction score
Time Capsule / Back Up Disk Location

HI and thanks for your response, it is much appreciated.

However, I do not have two wireless networks. I just have the one I have created using the Time Capsule. The router is a fixed unit which previously hard wired, via ethernet to my macbook. Now I have created a wireless network.

The network works fine, its just that i can't do a back up (the main reason for buying the Capsule). The menu options when backing up just say choose back up location but the drop down screen is blank! I recall when preparing the set up initially I could see the Time capsule in the finder menu, but i had not configured the internet.

Now I have configured the internet, I have lost the Capsule in the finder, therefore I am guessing the macbook can't see the disk, but it sees it in the Airport Utility.

Any other suggestions? But as far as I can see everything is working fine, no set up problems reported, so I think it is a macbook setting error, perhaps! But again I don't know where I should be looking?

Thanks again.

dave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
Hmmmm well I know when backing up to an AirDisk, you have to mount the drive first before it will show in the Time Machine drive list.

Is the Time Capsule drive mounted in your OS first?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.