The Decider - MBP 2.5GHz - 4GB memory!?

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im from the UK and i am looking into buying the new MBP 2.5Ghz. Its costs around £1.7K here. However, im an experienced XP user but i have been looking into the whole OSX scene. From what i have read, the Mac whips the XP unless you want gaming...which is what a PS3 is for!

Anyway, if i buy the macbook pro i will get it with 2GB memory. Does anybody know how many slots are avaliable? i.e. 2x2GB or 4x1GB? No where/one seems to know?!

Please help me out,

Cheers Curly :D

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it is 2 slots.

So it contains 2x1gb.

So if you wanted to upgrade = 2x2gb

Best,
-AC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
Yep. Like AConfire said; it has 2 slots and maxes out at 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR2 667 (PC2 5300). If you shop around you be able to find a pretty good deal on a memory kit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Why going all out on your first Mac? What happens if you don't like OSX?

I wouldn't say OSX whips XP. They are designed differently. Each has its own issues. It should be about which one can do the most for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm also soon switching to a MBP and If I hate OSX, well ... BootCamp will be my friend ;)

T.

Windows on a laptop designed for Windows will run better than a Mac running Windows. It's not as fool proof as it sounds/ seems. Just check the Windows/ Other OS' forum. There are quite a bit of compatibility issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I think bry might be overstating things a little, but he kinda has a point. The regular MacBook is fine for most people; the MacBook Pro is really designed for digital artists who need to work on the move.

Saying that, the MBP is a great machine, and if you've decided it's the right one for you, who are we to tell you otherwise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think bry might be overstating things a little, but he kinda has a point.

$2000-$3000 is a lot of money for a computer, no matter what your plan is to do with it. If the OP has NEVER used OS X, spending that much just to run OS X because it "whips" XP is ridiculous.
My point is, the OP should question his motives before buying any Mac. Macs and OS X are not for everyone. If they were, everyone would own a Mac and OS X and it would do most everything better than Windows or a PC.
Good point though. It's not my money to spend and all offer is my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.