Which TTY for USB?

Reaction score
I'm attempting to write a simple C program that reads input from my USB which I have a serial to USB converter connected to. How do I know which TTY file to open under Dev?

OP
S
Reaction score
Update: It seems my whole problem is not identifying which is the correct TTY since it seems my Apple is not recognizing the USB->Serial at all. I've installed Prolific PL2303 driver, however the adapter is still not being seen. I've downloaded QuickTerm and ZTerm and both don't see the connector so I know its not my code. Anyone have any ideas? Granted this is no longer a strict programming question. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quicksilver 2002 running Tiger and Leopard
How to use USB/Serial adapter?

Usually serial devices are represented by Unix "device files." To find the device file(s) for your USB/Serial adapter, try using commands like these in the Terminal application:

ls -l /dev/tty*
ls -l /dev/cu.*

If you don't find any device files for your USB/Serial adapter, make sure you have installed the software required by your USB/Serial adpater. Often, that kind of support is provided by a "Kernal Extension."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.